Notices

90 day check in

Old 09-30-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

90 day check in

Yesterday was 90 days. There have been times the AV has talked to me. But the benefit of waking up with no hangover is huge. I have not had any big desires to drink. I have had a few drinking dreams. But even though 90 days is good, I have done this before. I have gone a year, over a year, 11 months, etc. I am not sure when I started to try to quit. It has been years since I realized I had to stop. My issue is relapse. Therefore I am trying to do things like reading SR and exercising. I am keeping a journal. I also cut out an alcoholic friend from my life. He was shocked when I told him I did not want him coming to my house. He drinks every day, and I could not handle seeing him do it. He would not accept my help or help from other friends. So things are better, just trying to get a new lifestyle going. And I am trying to avoid stress triggers. One thing I have been working on is acceptance. Acceptance of the past, of my working life, and personal relationships. I wish I had not been so upset at work related difficulties when I was younger. In the end, jobs are just jobs. Being able to leave the office behind is something I now work on. I have made amends when appropriate. I avoid all situations where there is alcohol. When I go to a bar for some activity I can't get out of, I drink soda. A shocking turn of events is at our company we have a new President and when we have group get together s there are drinks of champagne and orange juice. The President thinks this is a good idea for morale and socialization. And this is at 9 or 10 in the morning. There was a time when I would have loved that. But now I ask for straight OJ. At the last one, the person serving the drinks said "hey, live a little and have one" - I declined. They had no clue about my struggles. Alcohol was always a friend until it wasn't. It was a way I coped. I am doing what I should to get better. And there have been a few personal things that have changed over the last few years that have helped me. Thanks for everything SR! This place is a life line that I am grateful for.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats Jim!

Sounds like you are working the plan.

I agree, this place is a lifeline.

So may cool threads, from filunnies (lighter side) to words games and gratitude.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations on 90 days, Jim!
Originally Posted by Jim1958 View Post
A shocking turn of events is at our company we have a new President and when we have group get together s there are drinks of champagne and orange juice. The President thinks this is a good idea for morale and socialization.
The new leadership at my institution also thinks it's a good idea to start some working groups with booze. Like you said, would have sounded good to me in the past, but what's the goal? How about getting good work done? Nah, apparently not.

Keep in touch -- I think posting here daily has helped me keep sober, and sane. Shout-out thanks to SR support!
Old 09-30-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

Way to go Jim !

Keep on keeping on

You sound very strong in your sobriety

May I myself have that one day
Old 09-30-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on ninety days sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Congrats Jim!
Old 09-30-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 days!
Old 09-30-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jim that's fantastic. And well done putting yourself and your sobriety first.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats Jim. Keep it going. I'm at day 125. This is the longest I have ever gone without booze in the past thirty years. I never imagined I could do without for more than a few days. My drinking buddies have fallen away and I knew they would. It was kind of an unwritten agreement. We drank together and made small talk at happy hours. That was it. The major part I love about sobriety is not wasting days being hungover. It was a vicious and exhausting cycle.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Jim

D
Old 10-04-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Wow Jim 90 days is awesome.

I, like you, am a former relapser. Once I get going sobriety seems like no sweat. I am coming up on two months and have scarcely thought about actually drinking. But I know the old AV is lurking around waiting for openings. I think that this time I have learned enough from past attempts to go for the long haul.

Look forward to seeing more of your posts.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice work man. Keep it moving. Life only gets better sober.