Notices

Had A Drinking Dream Last Night

Old 09-30-2018, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had A Drinking Dream Last Night

Hi.

Last night I dreamt I was on a train ride, not sure where I was going, but trains it was.

In my dream I got off one train and had a long layover for the next one, so I did what I used to do and hit the bar. Got pretty drunk whilst waiting for my next one.

I can't remember much after that, I may have woke up. But the dream itself was so vivid, when I did properly wake up this morning, I felt guilty. Ashamed.

It took me a good few minutes for my mind to realise it was just a dream and I am still on the three months sober mark. What didn't help is that I am on the final stages of a head cold, I when I did wake, I had the groggy head and the immense thirst you would associate with a hangover.

If anything positive is to take from it, I guess I now know how I would genuinely feel should I relapse again.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

drinking dreams are pretty common - I had a few but I stayed sober - if anything it reminded me of the bad times.

feel better soon Tynesider
D
Old 09-30-2018, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a drinking dream last night too. I dreamed that I was offered a glass of wine but did not take it because I would have to re-set by sober clock. So actually a dream about what I do when conscious. I am not giving up my accrued time - ever. I'm dying sober!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Had another one last night. In fact, over the past week or so, I've had a few.

Approaching 15 weeks this Sunday and they are becoming a lot more common. I awake feeling really guilty before realising it was just a dream.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

Its just a dream. They will pass.
Get some exercise maybe. Or go easy on the coffee...
Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's an awful feeling when you wake up thinking you have to reset that clock. It happened to me a few times, the last time was actually the night before I had one year. In my dream I knew it was the day before and I picked up the drink so I would have to say I'd been sober a year. I woke up feeling awful!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I still get them occasionally but the frequency is much reduced. They are most unsettling though.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

The only power that drinking dreams have is the power that we bestow upon them. I have a myriad of thoughts during a 24 hour period. The vast majority of them come and go quietly. They only turn into actions when I follow through on them. As long as I take full responsibility for my actions, all is good.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've had about three or four of them and the funny thing is I'm always VERY aware I'm trying not to reset my sober clock. In one of them I was incredibly dehydrated after a long journey, so I grabbed the first glass of liquid I could find at the location and spat it out when I realized it was Prosecco.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have them once in a while. They don't rattle me. Just dreams. The mind blowing off steam.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I still have drinking dreams on occasion. I know I'm in the minority, but I like it when I have them because I always wake up completely disgusted with myself. They really serve to reinforce the idea that there is absolutely nothing to gain by ever picking up a drink again.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had my first drinking dream last night (at least that I remember). I don't remember all of the details, but I think I dreamed I was traveling or on vacation or something and decided to get drunk. The only other thing I remember is an overwhelming feeling of shame and regret...like, the pure distillation of those feelings...until I woke up. So glad it was just a dream, but it took me a few minutes after waking up to shake that feeling.