Notices

Have there been any positives come from your drinking?

Old 09-23-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My drinking had no positives at all to be honest.

Easy to look back at lessons learned and the increasing self awareness of recovery, but drinking itself wasted time, stunted my emotional growth and damaged my physical and mental health.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Whatever positives I receive from alcohol are short lived and get me through a moment... but ultimately comes with the price of feeling worse than if I hadn't drank at all. I guess that is the best way to explain it.

Otherwise, if I were to make a "pro" and "con" list of reasons to drink vs. not to drink, every good and rational reason would appear in the "con" column.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

The positives are all very short-term.

The negatives are all middle to longer term. Your life sucks, basically.

The negatives from not drinking are all very short term.

The positives from not drinking are all middle to long term. You allow your life to work.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I had some fun times with friends while drinking; but, what if I had been sober during those times? I could have had fun, no doubt remembered a lot more and not felt like crap the next day.

In hindsight, drinking was just a social crutch for me. Good riddance.

Now, recovery is a whole new ballgame. I believe being an alcoholic in recovery has amazing blessings. The depth of self examination that comes with good recovery is something many “Nomie” people will never experience.

Last edited by PinnacleOR; 09-23-2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Delete please
Old 09-23-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I had some fun times with friends while drinking; but, what if I had been sober during those times? I could have had fun, no doubt remembered a lot more and not felt like crap the next day.

In hindsight, drinking was just a social crutch for me. Good riddance.

Now, recovery is a whole new ballgame. I believe being an alcoholic in recovery has amazing blessings. The depth of self examination that comes with good recovery is something many “Normie” people will never experience.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Frick, you perfectly described why I am forever grateful that my alcoholism took me to the brink of death. If I hadn't gone so far and lost so much, and so on, I don't think I would have stopped nor do I think I would have the deliberately beautiful life I am building now.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only positive thing that came from my drinking was when I stopped doing it.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Earned my 2nd Bachelors, qualified for the MLS version of my degree (clinical technologist), got my first place, bought my second place, evolved my career to what it is now, and then almost died.

I'm 4 years Sober. I'm grateful for the accomplishments I was somehow able to achieve but there was alot of crap I could've done without. Like the breakups and almost dying and stuff. Also ruining your own reputation is no fun either.

I'm grateful for realizing what I really want out of my life after 4 years dry. But the question that really gets me thinking is "would I have been so successful without the alcoholic years?".

~Bunnez
Old 09-23-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My alcoholism got me into recovery and I’ve discovered a beautiful way of living. Thus I’m a very grateful alcoholic. I wouldn’t change a thing; it’s my path 🙏
Old 09-23-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

The horrors of alcoholism are almost worth the insights gained in recovery. I had to make a number of other changes to my life in recovery that I probably would not have made otherwise.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have mixed feelings about it. I never in a million years thought that I would become addicted, I thought I was smarter and better than that. I was wrong. Drinking, and recovery, has taught me humility. In a strange way I'm glad I went through this miserable experience because it forced me to eliminate alcohol from my life completely, instead of limping along as a "social drinker who occasionally overindulges." By being completely sober, it's allowed me to see how destructive even "normal" drinking is, and how many so-called social drinkers are fooling themselves.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I try not to connect positives that occurred while I was drinking, I drank from 16- 45, not always alcoholically, but that was how it ended. I had many wond erik things happen during those years, but they are not due to alcohol. I often wonder what life would have been like if I had never started. Today marks 1000 days sober for me, and I wouldn't trade one of them.