Notices

Hi

Old 11-15-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawals not fun - if there was an easy way to do it we;d all have done that way, You're gonna be messed up and sleep deprived a little for a few days.

I could never taper. If I could drink a little then stop I wouldn't need to taper..

If you're committed to tapering start it today.

The object is to get to Zero drinks and start your new life - in safe but timely fashion.

Good luck

D
Old 11-15-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jim1958 View Post
Just a couple of thoughts. You will find many threads here about how drinking just a few leads right back to alcohol abuse. Sad to say, the majority opinion is you have to stop totally. I agree.

Next, if AA is not for you there are online AA meetings where you are not face to face in a room. Also, the forum here is a huge resource.

I am a big believer in counseling. Google drug and alcohol counseling in your area. If you have insurance, it will not cost much. Then you can go one on one with somebody trained in the field. It is good for accountability.

Lastly, something that helped me was a calendar. I keep it on my kitchen table. Each day, I can add another number to the total. It gives you a visual indication of how far you have come. Give it a try. At one time I thought 30 days was impossible. It is great to make progress. Remember it is not too late to make a change.

Best to you.
Thanks for the advice! I will give it some thought.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Withdrawals not fun - if there was an easy way to do it we;d all have done that way, You're gonna be messed up and sleep deprived a little for a few days.

I could never taper. If I could drink a little then stop I wouldn't need to taper..

If you're committed to tapering start it today.

The object is to get to Zero drinks and start your new life - in safe but timely fashion.

Good luck

D
Well last night I only had one drink and had one melatonin and had a great sleep, I didn't have a desire to drink anymore so that's good, tonight I'll try it without a drink and see how it goes.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes! If you made it down to one, jump!

Sleep is going to be tough for a while. It won't hurt you.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Yes! If you made it down to one, jump!

Sleep is going to be tough for a while. It won't hurt you.
Hopefully it goes well, I feel well rested today and have no cravings or withdrawal so that's good, I think the melatonin really helped. The insomnia was the only thing that was really stopping me from quitting in the first place for the most part so I feel pretty good about this. Now to find a hobby or something to keep me busy as I am not going to be working soon for the winter.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What are you thinking about doing for hobbies? There are plenty of interesting things to take up! I find that hobbies and working out really fulfill any voids I imagined were there when I was a drunk.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OceanGuy View Post
What are you thinking about doing for hobbies? There are plenty of interesting things to take up! I find that hobbies and working out really fulfill any voids I imagined were there when I was a drunk.
I'm not sure, I used to love building model cars and trucks, might get into that again. But I think my main focus will be looking for ways to make money, possibly look into starting a business or something. Friday night was horrible, had no drinks and one melatonin, had a couple last night and had a great sleep so I think I need to take it slower.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well it happened, I relapsed, yet again, I feel so worthless right now, how many times am i going to do this? I'm not sure what to do anymore, being stuck at home with nothing to do isn't helping.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Hopenotlost View Post
Well it happened, I relapsed, yet again, I feel so worthless right now, how many times am i going to do this? I'm not sure what to do anymore, being stuck at home with nothing to do isn't helping.
Sorry to hear that Hope, but i'm glad you came back here to talk things through.

As far as the answer to your question, you don't ever have to do it ( drink ) again if you don't want to. Drinking is a choice, not an inevitability.

There's lots of things you could be doing from home to help support your sobriety. Spending time here on SR is one of them. There are also online AA meeting too if you'd care to give one a try. Or I'm sure you could find a ride to a local meeting too if you could arrange that.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Lot of people balk at seeking out face to face support, say in the form of a formal substance abuse program. Balk, yet remain in the cycle of quit and relapse. Like you.

Perhaps its time to quit trying it on your own.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Lot of people balk at seeking out face to face support, say in the form of a formal substance abuse program. Balk, yet remain in the cycle of quit and relapse. Like you.

Perhaps its time to quit trying it on your own.
Yeah you're probably right, it is pretty tough by myself. It also doesn't help that I'm a little stubborn but I guess I can get past it and maybe start with online meetings. It's at the point now where if i do try and quit cold Turkey I'm scared of what will happen to me.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Hopenotlost View Post
Ye
I'm a little stubborn but I guess I can get past it and maybe start with online meetings.
Meetings are just a minor component of AA. Recovery is found in the steps. Find a meeting, get a sponsor, work the program.

Don't let stubbornness, or timidity, keep you drinking.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Meetings are just a minor component of AA. Recovery is found in the steps. Find a meeting, get a sponsor, work the program.

Don't let stubbornness, or timidity, keep you drinking.
I'm going to try my best, it will be tough, especially at this time of year goigoito dinners with family and whatnot, will be a test that's for sure.