Notices

My dad is one of my biggest triggers

Old 08-22-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boreas View Post
Thanks for this post. There have been lots of complicated dynamics within my family over the years due to my sibling’s addiction from an early age. Thankfully, things are quieter now. But I’ve had to come to grips with the fallout...which amounts to a continued over-enmeshment between my parents and sibling, and a disconnect in my relationship with them.

It’s very quiet...just like you spoke of. That phone never rings. There is no effort on their part to develop or maintain a relationship. They have no active part in their grandson’s life (even to my mother having to ask if he’s in high school yet. He’s about to start the 11th grade). I’ve forced myself to contact them once per month to maintain some lines of communication, but the reality of their lack of interest really stung for a long time.

I just had to disengage. That relationship will never be what I would like. The dynamic that developed when we were all younger continues to play out. All I can do is focus on my own path and continue to mourn what will never be. It took me a long time to get here, but I would label it a “sad acceptance”. It is what it is.

As you said, certainly not worth drinking over.
-bora
Thank you. I agree with this entirely, and am sorry you've had the same experience. I do the exact same thing forcing myself to initiate the contact, just so there's something. He's moved on and I get that, I never expected him to sit around mourning my mom for the rest of his life, but I didn't expect this either. I need to learn the sad acceptance - so true. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My dad never calls me either. It’s taken some time for me to see what part of that is him and what part of it is me. And then, to accept him for who he is, and decide what the relationship (or lack thereof) is in my life. The last part is scary when it comes to parents. Really scary. I recommend an actual therapist to work that stuff out. It will 100% strengthen your sobriety to address it.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
My dad never calls me either. It’s taken some time for me to see what part of that is him and what part of it is me. And then, to accept him for who he is, and decide what the relationship (or lack thereof) is in my life. The last part is scary when it comes to parents. Really scary. I recommend an actual therapist to work that stuff out. It will 100% strengthen your sobriety to address it.
I appreciate this very much, and am coming to realize that this just is what it is. A “sad acceptance”, as another very smart person on here called it. I know I definitely need to work it all out. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Rayna - my relationship with my folks is similar - I would tie myself in knots trying to get some appreciation, some acknowledgement.

I eventually came to the conclusion that my real family are the friends and loved ones I've had, some for 40 years or longer.

I'm really glad you're not drinking over this - drinking is the equivalent of saying your feelings don;t matter - but they do

Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I don't think anyone, especially an alcoholic can catergorically state they wont drink if a series of unfortunate events happened to them....
I can categorically state that - recovery has changed me, fundamentally for the better.

I'm not the man I used to be.

The good news is you have that sense of surety to look forward to one day too, Keto

D
Old 08-22-2018, 08:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry Rayna - my relationship with my folks is similar - I would tie myself in knots trying to get some appreciation, some acknowledgement.

I eventually came to the conclusion that my real family are the friends and loved ones I've had, some for 40 years or longer.

I'm really glad you're not drinking over this - drinking is the equivalent of saying your feelings don;t matter - but they do

I can categorically state that - recovery has changed me, fundamentally for the better.

I'm not the man I used to be.

The good news is you have that sense of surety to look forward to one day too, Keto

D
Thank you, as always, for your awesome support. I actually always used the same phrase - ‘real family’ - to describe my mom’s family, when I lived in the same town as my dad but they were all hours from me. Now that the situation is reversed and I’m here with them, I don’t feel the need to distinguish it like i used to. I’m simply with my family now. As opposed to....I’m around people who I have some legal relation to, but my ‘real’ family is in a whole other city. I’m also a big believer that friends are family too thank you again.