Notices

AA try different meetings

Old 08-11-2018, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA try different meetings

In last 3 weeks I have attended AA meetings most days. I am driving to different meetings with different groups. I am now finding a group that I connect with quite well. The people are incredibly honest and quite funny. They are serious about AA but not hardliners.

I would strongly recommend putting in a few miles and trying different meetings. I also find the "step" type meetings where a particular step is discussed very helpful.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was court ordered to AA,but knew for years I needed some help,so I took full advantage of it. I've been to meetings in 5 US states,from big groups-small groups,rich areas-ghettos. It's was very enlightening to hear/see how it affects everyone the same. Sure some come in before others,but the stories(shares) are very much on the same level. It got me in the mindset to change my approach to a better,sober life. Although I'm not an avid AA'er,nor religious, I'd suggest anyone looking to get started on sobriety to give a few meetings a chance. If you don't feel comfortable, try whatever you can find and use it/them!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good advice, thank you.

We only have four meetings a week here, so I'm keeping everything crossed that I like our group, I would love to be somewhere, where there are more options xxx
Old 08-12-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first home group was almost an hour away, I went there every weekday morning for an 8am meeting. In no small way, those folks changed my life. Glad you went scouting for the meetings that speak to you Gerard, well done!
Old 08-12-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

When I was on vacation visiting my Mom on the East Coast I went to some meetings in Bucks County in PA. They were all VERY religious and totally not my style.