Notices

Little bit of help please

Old 08-04-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Hey DS. I'm starting to think the steps are completely transformative and the more I read the most excited (and slightly terrified I feel!) I think that is you have a sense of something spiritual a work in your own life and development then the steps make a lot of sense. Check out the AA chat room. I really enjoyed it tonight and we could maybe go through the process at the same time. There are lots of options. I didn't realise that. So don't think it can't be done if you can't attend meetings in person. Rach xx
Thank you!
Old 08-04-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know, I've been thinking about it but I wouldn't be able to share with them there and then work with them too. It's hard and it sucks really. For me and for them. I know it would be really uncomfortable for them too. Thanks TS, I was hoping you'd give me a counter view x
online meetings are pretty awesome, gabe. i used to do online meetings and it was pretty wild to hear recovery all around the globe.

pretty wild alkies in brazil act and think just like this alkie here in michigan- who knew!
Old 08-04-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hadn't even occurred to me that I might not have to share everything! I just assumed it was a full disclosure kind of thing.
what youre referring to would be a wee bit of 5th step- admitting to god, ourselves and another human( notice singular there) the exact nature of our wrongs.
it would be very unwise to open up about everything in a meeting. not everyone in meetings is an example of a spiritual awakening and are still sick.
one thing that occured for me,though:
after getting through the steps, i was quite allright with opening up with every aspect of my past. no more fear of what others may think of me or my PAST actions.
because im not that man any more. that man isnt around any more.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Gabe I think you are doing the right thing to protect your professional relationships with your clients.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Gabe,
How are you doing ?
Have you done your online meeting yet ? How'd it go ?
xxxx
Old 08-05-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
what youre referring to would be a wee bit of 5th step- admitting to god, ourselves and another human( notice singular there) the exact nature of our wrongs.
it would be very unwise to open up about everything in a meeting. not everyone in meetings is an example of a spiritual awakening and are still sick.
one thing that occured for me,though:
after getting through the steps, i was quite allright with opening up with every aspect of my past. no more fear of what others may think of me or my PAST actions.
because im not that man any more. that man isnt around any more.
That's good to know, I think I was under the impression that people shared all their past drunken shameful mistakes and hurts. That sounded really imtimidating to me. I've been reading about Step 5 and it brings up a real mixture of conflicted feelings, but in the heart of that is my desire to get to where you are TS, a place where I am not the same person I was when I was drinking and the peace of knowing I've forgiven myself and been forgiven for the things I have done in my past. I get that a lot of what is holdin me back is fear of change plus deep rooted conflicts and resentments. It sounds pretty terrifying to disclose that, even to one person! The liberation from that must be an awesome thing. I have faith that I'll be ready, when the time comes.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerard52 View Post
Gabe I think you are doing the right thing to protect your professional relationships with your clients.
Thanks Gerard. I'm feeling a lot more confident now about my decision x
Old 08-05-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShenzyT View Post
Hey Gabe,
How are you doing ?
Have you done your online meeting yet ? How'd it go ?
xxxx
I'm good Shenzy, thanks. The meeting was really good - I was surprised by how moving I found it. It was a really exhausting day in the end but I feel like I'm getting a good plan in place.

How are you doing? We are in similar parts of the world. Is it raining in Aberdeen? xx
Old 08-05-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm good Shenzy, thanks. The meeting was really good - I was surprised by how moving I found it. It was a really exhausting day in the end but I feel like I'm getting a good plan in place.

How are you doing? We are in similar parts of the world. Is it raining in Aberdeen? xx

That's ace Gabe - glad you're getting a good plan in place.
Doing good here - had a really good & productive weekend so far, the 1st for a very long time, just wish I could bottle this feeling & remember it when the AV kicks in.
Lovely day here today - we're further inland from Aberdeen, so it's great, we don't get the sea harr or the breeze.
Have a good day today

xx
Old 08-05-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

There are many reasons I haven’t gone to AA and this is one of them, for me. I had not gotten to a stage in my drinking career where my job had fallen apart due to drinking, at least obviously. Looking back now, I can see that had I continued, it likely would have, but two years ago, it wasn’t obvious. The people I serve in my job have to put a lot of trust in me and our relationship is not one of equals in that sense. I absolutely could not have walked in either. At other points I had tried AA in different cities and had bad experiences. That being said, the program is amazing and shouldn’t be ignored for most, and if you need it, you should put your sobriety first and go. But if you find a workaround works, do it. I personally used SR pretty exclusively, and followed the principles of AA to a large extent. Living where I do now, I knew for a fact that several of the “clients” I serve are active members as are some of the people I have to work “against”. Although I’m in a city, it’s a fishbowl here, not like NYC or LA or a place like that. I made it work.

Have to say that if, in the future, I live somewhere else, i have thought I would check out AA as a resource to stay sober, have the experience of working with a sponsor and as a way to join a community to work the steps and make some sober friends. It’s even crossed my mind to start going now, two years sober and a little less vulnerable. But I understand. For me, one of the pinnacles of hope that helped me was that I still had my job and my professional integrity when I finally got sober. Compromising that would have been devastating. Fortunately my workaround worked. Because I worked it. And that is the difference between an excuse and a tool.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShenzyT View Post
That's ace Gabe - glad you're getting a good plan in place.
Doing good here - had a really good & productive weekend so far, the 1st for a very long time, just wish I could bottle this feeling & remember it when the AV kicks in.
Lovely day here today - we're further inland from Aberdeen, so it's great, we don't get the sea harr or the breeze.
Have a good day today

xx
Great to hear Shenzy! I know what you mean about bottling that feeling....it's great to feel filled with that positive motivation and well-being. I convinced myself for so long that sobriety would just be boring Glad you are all still getting good weather. We are back to the traditional side-ways Orkney rain up here xxx
Old 08-05-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
There are many reasons I haven’t gone to AA and this is one of them, for me. I had not gotten to a stage in my drinking career where my job had fallen apart due to drinking, at least obviously. Looking back now, I can see that had I continued, it likely would have, but two years ago, it wasn’t obvious. The people I serve in my job have to put a lot of trust in me and our relationship is not one of equals in that sense. I absolutely could not have walked in either. At other points I had tried AA in different cities and had bad experiences. That being said, the program is amazing and shouldn’t be ignored for most, and if you need it, you should put your sobriety first and go. But if you find a workaround works, do it. I personally used SR pretty exclusively, and followed the principles of AA to a large extent. Living where I do now, I knew for a fact that several of the “clients” I serve are active members as are some of the people I have to work “against”. Although I’m in a city, it’s a fishbowl here, not like NYC or LA or a place like that. I made it work.

Have to say that if, in the future, I live somewhere else, i have thought I would check out AA as a resource to stay sober, have the experience of working with a sponsor and as a way to join a community to work the steps and make some sober friends. It’s even crossed my mind to start going now, two years sober and a little less vulnerable. But I understand. For me, one of the pinnacles of hope that helped me was that I still had my job and my professional integrity when I finally got sober. Compromising that would have been devastating. Fortunately my workaround worked. Because I worked it. And that is the difference between an excuse and a tool.
Thanks for you post Bexxed. I feel the same , in a huge motivating factor for me in trying to get sober this year was that I care so much about my job, the families I support and really wanted to be the best I could at it, and be well. I wanted to enjoy being well as I love my job so much more then. Compromising that is frightening to me, either by my drinking or by feeling exposed through AA. I do plan to reconsider though, when we move next year. There are far, far more options on the mainland and I want to be part of a sober face to face community.

I'm starting to really get that people use combinations of all kinds of methods to get and stay sober. I think I have the makings of a good plan but the proof (as always) is in the action, and in observing is that is enough/if it's working/if I'm motivated and I'm working. I have really had a sudden growth in mindset about what this takes. I feel blessed for that!