Notices

The Sinclair method

Old 07-27-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Sinclair method

In my search for sobriety , I came across alternatives to AA, and the Sinclair method came up on a website. This seems absolutely insane, you take a pill ( naxeltrone) an hour before your first drink. The pill is an opiate antagonist from what I read and blocks your receptors from feeling of euphoria that alcoholics get from alcohol. The method is popular in Europe , not really popular but started in Finland. The study says you are under a doctor's care for about 6-9 months and if you adhere to the regimen you will not have cravings and can remain abstinent from alcohol, or you can choose to take pill every time you want to drink but you will not drink alcohol like you used to , most people remain abstinent but some choose to drink occasionally. I find this absolutely insane I'm sure it is nothing but a sham. Any one ever know anything about this. ?
Old 07-27-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can get it on the National Health Service in UK. Sinclair was an American. It is a perfectly valid treatment alternative and if it becomes necessary one I would consider in future. Though I rather work out my alcohol issue by myself which I believe I can. Basically it stops the reward feeling from drinking so it becomes pointless to drink.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We don't allow discussion of the Sinclair Method on SR because it is a method that promotes the use of alcohol.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
We don't allow discussion of the Sinclair Method on SR because it is a method that promotes the use of alcohol.
Sorry Anna ,
I did not know the Sinclair method was censored on SR, I really do not like the idea of taking a pill to rewire my brain , but what I read it does not promote alcohol consumption you just have to drink alcohol with the naltrexone so your brain can become rewired, after a 4-9 month period supposedly you have no desire to drink , an many choose abstinence afterwards because they have no desire.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most people who have quit just quit.

Suffering is not optional in life. Sobriety however is.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I tried Naltrexone . My doctor wouldn't prescribe it for me so I bought some when I went to India (spot the 1st problem! I am thinking I am my own GP!!) Anyway I didn't like it. It made me feel sick about an hour after taking it and I still ended up drunk !! It blocks the buzz you get so I wasn't even getting that and yet I continued to drink till pass out. Go figure.

3 months sober now with SR and AA 😀😀
Old 07-27-2018, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am currently take naltrexone (prescribed and ministered by a doctor) and I do not drink.

My own personal experience has been positive. I feel that it does help the cravings. I did not experience any noticible side effects.

But everyone is different. And what works for someone, might now always work for the next person.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Naltrexone is one of the heavy hitters in sobriety medications, to cut down on cravings, though is to be taken daily.
The supposed miracle of "having your cake and eating it too" only works for those that haven't crossed the line. If you're here, you likely have.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snitch View Post
I tried Naltrexone . My doctor wouldn't prescribe it for me so I bought some when I went to India (spot the 1st problem! I am thinking I am my own GP!!) Anyway I didn't like it. It made me feel sick about an hour after taking it and I still ended up drunk !! It blocks the buzz you get so I wasn't even getting that and yet I continued to drink till pass out. Go figure.

3 months sober now with SR and AA 😀😀
>> It blocks the buzz you get so I wasn't even getting that and yet I continued to drink till pass out. <<

You can't get addicted to a substance unless you learn it does something for you. You did not get a buzz and eventually you will stop...…….
Old 07-27-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I found a much more simple, easy and cheap way of stopping the effects of alcohol. Don't drinking.

Why would someone want to drink But for the effect.

To each their own I guess.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
>> It blocks the buzz you get so I wasn't even getting that and yet I continued to drink till pass out. <<

You can't get addicted to a substance unless you learn it does something for you. You did not get a buzz and eventually you will stop...…….
I was already addicted and in sobriety I am learning I didn't just drink for a buzz I drank to obliterate ny feelings
Old 07-27-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

".... after a 4-9 month period supposedly you have no desire to drink , an many choose abstinence afterwards because they have no desire."

it's an interesting idea to tie drinking to desire this way as if the desire were necessary to the drinking and absence of the desire leads to abstinence.

not saying there is no relationship, but certainly wasn't that simplistic for me.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bumblebee2 View Post
I am currently take naltrexone (prescribed and ministered by a doctor) and I do not drink.

My own personal experience has been positive. I feel that it does help the cravings. I did not experience any noticible side effects.

But everyone is different. And what works for someone, might now always work for the next person.
I agree. Plus you are doing it the right way with your doctors help. My doctor wouldn't prescribe it to me unless I was refrerred to her by alcohol services. I went to alcohol services prior to my doctors visit for help but got scared as they said if you have children they come to check how they are etc and whilst I understood the reasoning behind that it scared me off as I didn't want to be "under investigation" I only wanted help to stop drinking!!!! So in desperation I bought some from a chemist on a a work trip .
I am glad it is working for you.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I was already addicted and in sobriety I am learning I didn't just drink for a buzz I drank to obliterate ny feelings
I think the point is if you're no longer able to get a buzz, you're not able to obliterate your feelings and eventually you'll stop attempting. Many of us chose to stop drinking when we would get hammered and not feel a buzz any longer. If there's a pill that will do that, I don't have any objections to it.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
".... after a 4-9 month period supposedly you have no desire to drink , an many choose abstinence afterwards because they have no desire."

it's an interesting idea to tie drinking to desire this way as if the desire were necessary to the drinking and absence of the desire leads to abstinence.

not saying there is no relationship, but certainly wasn't that simplistic for me.
Yep. Also naltrexone will only be effective if you take it on a daily basis and I am an alcoholic with a devious alcoholic mind and my devious mind knows what to do if I want to get buzzed and wasted. Not take it!
Old 07-27-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
I think the point is if you're no longer able to get a buzz, you're not able to obliterate your feelings and eventually you'll stop attempting. Many of us chose to stop drinking when we would get hammered and not feel a buzz any longer. If there's a pill that will do that, I don't have any objections to it.
I have no objections either. If it helps someone stop drinking then that's great . That wasn't my experience though.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I have no objections either. If it helps someone stop drinking then that's great . That wasn't my experience though.
You took it once?
Old 07-27-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Having a thread title like this is clearly problematic for our rules - and for some of our members - so I'm going to close the thread.

Threads about using naltrexone, as prescribed, within an abstinence based programme are generally within the rules - anything else is not.

Dee
SR