Notices

Alcohol in Supermarkets

Old 07-22-2018, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol in Supermarkets

There are aisles of booze in supermarkets these days in UK. Considering at least 10% of the population have a problem would it not better if it was removed from supermarkets and sold separate bottle shops. It also makes it so normal for children to see it as grocery staple.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its not sold in supermarkets where I live in Australia but I'm afraid I don't see any appreciable difference in drinking rates or alcoholism rates Gerard.

D
Old 07-22-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, grocery stores place alcohol around
their stores to advertise, boost sales, to
see which one can out shine out sell the
others. It's a booming business and it doesn't
seem to care who buys it or who cant.

All I know is.....I cant control the situation.
Only accept the fact that it isn't going away.

I make my list before going to the store,
go in following that list and don't daydream
around the alcohol isle, because it wont do
me a bit of good.

With yrs of sobriety now, I know what
I need to do to remain sober, happy,
content and responsible without alcohol
a part of it.

All these things I had to learn over
the yrs and today I continue with
applying all those awesome tools
and lots of knowledge passed on to
me to remain successful in my own
sobriety.

Oh, I also take with me my Serenity Prayer
with me that I memorized early on and use
it every chance Ive got to strength my Faith
against the evils of the world. One being alcohol
addiction.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

If 80%+ of the population doesn't have a problem with it, would removing it from grocery stores pass a public referendum?
Old 07-22-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We only recently got alcohol in grocery stores. It has always been at our local grocers because we are rural, cottage area. For the most part it is confined to a couple aisles. It doesn't much bother me, I try to shop early in the morning when the grocery stores open and you cannot buy alcohol at 8am.

I don't know that it increases the problem. We had the problem before it went into grocery stores. Select places had wine shops off the main floor.

It unnerved me when we first got booze in the larger stores. Now I don't care. Plus the lines for booze free are shorter if i find myself picking up a few things during the day.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Recovery from alcoholism means you can be around alcohol and it doesn’t register or bother you. It is entirely possible.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think if I look outside myself for the problem, I can believe that the problem isn't me.

I'm in change of what ends up in my cart and what goes in my mouth. No one ever made me buy it or drink it. 100% on me.

Where I live we recently passed a law to sell it pretty much everywhere. It used to be controlled in State owned liquor stores. I voted against the, "sell it everywhere" law, but the majority won.

Not sure if it's affected quantities sold but I know there are higher taxes on this new way, so that's good.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Isles of booze?

Some of the super markets around my house have bars inside of them!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
J50

With new studies coming out now about the dangers of alcohol (compared to previous ones about its benefits), I wonder if it will face the vilification of smoking in the next 5 or 10 years.

The problem is that drinking is ingrained in our culture, and makes a TON of money so it probably isn't going anywhere. The big thing now where I live is microbrewery's, which the governor was touting as a success in my state.

I agree with you, however.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Gerard52 View Post
Considering at least 10% of the population have a problem would it not better if it was removed from supermarkets and sold separate bottle shops.
I would say no. It's convenient to place blame when it comes to our addiction. The "media", big alcohol companies, etc - it must be their fault, right?

Think of illicit drugs for a minute - you can't buy meth at the grocery store, or even a bottle shop. In fact it's illegal to buy it in just about every country in the world. Doesn't stop a lot of people from buying it and ruining their lives, does it?

Our addiction is our responsibility to deal with, regardless of our surroundings.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got alcohol anywhere and everywhere. That's what my alcoholic mind wanted and grocery store, liquor store, convenience store....

For normal people- and their kids- there is no reason alcohol shouldn't be accessible, and I believe that nothing as simple as removing it from groceries (state laws in the US vary about where/ what hours/ kinds/ etc alcohol can be bought) makes a whit of difference for addicts. Like Scott said- I am the one responsible for my choices to drink- or not.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I would say no. It's convenient to place blame when it comes to our addiction. The "media", big alcohol companies, etc - it must be their fault, right?

Think of illicit drugs for a minute - you can't buy meth at the grocery store, or even a bottle shop. In fact it's illegal to buy it in just about every country in the world. Doesn't stop a lot of people from buying it and ruining their lives, does it?

Our addiction is our responsibility to deal with, regardless of our surroundings.
I agree on it being our responsibility, but I think the point was kids being exposed to it and it being seen as normal to drink. In my supermarket the beer is near the milk. I believe in Canada, there are separate stores that sell booze.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I agree with Scott and August.

Yes, I had a horrible drinking problem. I also had, at one time, a cocaine addiction. I could get alcohol by strolling down the street to the corner. I had to score the coke. It really doesn't make a difference, if I want something and you're an addict, I will find a way to get it.

Most people can "drink normally." I see no reason why to make them jump through hoops to buy alcohol when they can take it or leave it. It's up to US to recover, not them.

Alcohol does confer a pleasant feeling to those that can drink it normally. Nicotine just keeps you from wanting to kill people as you withdraw from it. The health risks from moderate drinking are minimal compared to those from even moderate smoking. If someone is smoking and I am nearby, I am forced to breathe their smoke. I'm not ingesting a drinker's alcohol if I'm seated near them. I don't think that alcohol and nicotine are comparable, and I wouldn't hold my breath to see drinking become as marginalized as smoking.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerard52 View Post
There are aisles of booze in supermarkets these days in UK. Considering at least 10% of the population have a problem would it not better if it was removed from supermarkets and sold separate bottle shops. It also makes it so normal for children to see it as grocery staple.
Lots of countries in Europe do that, I wonder if it makes a difference. I think there would be protests on the streets in Scotland, if the supermarkets didn't sell booze. We are apathetic about many things but alcohol isn't one of them!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Although I've engaged in the same sort of thinking, it's my belief now that this line of thought is not helpful for my sobriety. The truth is that the vast majority of people that I know, outside of some old friends and others, have no problem with alcohol. They aren't " triggered" when they walk into a store and see lines of bottles. To legislate something that only affects a small portion, is so paternalistic and against how I see the world. Really though I think this line of thinking takes away from the fact that my problem resides inside. It has nothing to do with this shelves of alcohol that may or may not be in stores, restaurants or wherever. My demon is on the inside.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I first quit I noticed the alcohol in the supermarkets more than when I was drinking. It was at the entrance and the end of every aisle. It still is but now I don't see it. I'm not looking for it so I don't see it.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Lots of countries in Europe do that, I wonder if it makes a difference. I think there would be protests on the streets in Scotland, if the supermarkets didn't sell booze. We are apathetic about many things but alcohol isn't one of them!
I lived in alaska for 10 years, all alcohol is sold in separate stores there and alcoholism is rampant. There are dry villages where bootlegging fetches a hefty profit.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Wine and beer are sold in the supermarkets here but it doesn't bother me cause I don't drink anymore. They could sell heroin in stores and I wouldn't be interested.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hate that alcohol is in supermarkets now. It has destroyed my family, my life, my childs life. I look at alcohol the same as heroin. It should not be in a store just like heroin is not in a store. It destroys lives just like heroin.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with you. Alcohol is not allowed in grocery stores here, we have dedicated liquor stores. When we go to California, I notice they sell it everywhere. I think even in gas stations. Its crazy.