Notices

Here I Go Again - Alcoholic

Old 07-15-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I Go Again - Alcoholic

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to make a post and introduce myself. I'm a 30 year old alcoholic from TX. I quit drinking yesterday. I know it's only a day, but it's a start. I'm not feeling too bad, though I don't really want to do anything. I should be safe tomorrow because I'm taking my nephew to Six Flags, and I'm not about to pay $10 for a beer.

After 3+ years sobre, I started drinking again 2.5 years ago. I drank everyday since then, and I started drinking really heavily about two years ago. I've been drinking an 18 pack every day, sometimes 24, 30 on the very worst days. With cigarettes that comes out to about $900/month.

I've still been able to do my work and for the most part treat everyone decently, but I do lose it sometimes, and I feel constant guilt that I expect is going to get worse in the months to come.

The first time I successfully quit, it was because I was really motivated to get fit and maybe meet a girlfriend and live a more normal life. I quit for three years, but I never got the girlfriend, maybe that played a role in the relapse.

I was in the best shape of my life, though. 12% body fat and strong.

What finally got me drinking was a family reunion. I had a few drinks on New Years. The next day a group of us got in a big fight and I ended up drinking a 12 pack. It's been downhill since then.

Since then I've gained 75 lbs.

So here are some of my motivations to succeed at this:

1. I won't be broke anymore. That's a lot of money in my pocket.

2. I can get fit again. Since I've gained so much weight, it's a long road ahead, and it's going to be more difficult this time, but it's important to me.

3. I'll be able to drive at night again. I took a day off of drinking a few weeks ago (a failed attempt at quitting) and drove my car in the dark for the first time in as long as I can remember. It was weird.

4. My business will probably do better, I won't be wasting so much time sitting around pounding beers, and I'll have more money to invest in inventory. I'll make fewer mistakes.

I am concerned about dealing with my best friend. He's also an alcoholic, we drink together a lot. He usually gets an 18 pack too, and we tend to drink a lot faster when we're together. He'll be hard to avoid, though, because he's my neighbor.

Anyway, thanks for being here and listening. I hope I can be of help to someone someday, too.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, anadenanthera. You're in good company - and we all understand what you're going through.

I was drinking every day when I found SR. I'd been doing it for longer than you've been alive . I'm so glad you see what needs to happen. You'll get free & not have to go through the misery so many of us have. Welcome! You can definitely do this - we're here to help.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've made a smart decision to get sober. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step anadenanthera - d2 day is great

I'm glad you found us

D
Old 07-15-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome....

Life in sobriety is so much richer and more rewarding than a life soaked in alcohol. It really, truly is.

I’m glad you’ve chosen the sober path.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by anadenanthera View Post
Hello everyone.

I am concerned about dealing with my best friend. He's also an alcoholic, we drink together a lot. He usually gets an 18 pack too, and we tend to drink a lot faster when we're together. He'll be hard to avoid, though, because he's my neighbor.

Anyway, thanks for being here and listening. I hope I can be of help to someone someday, too.
Proud of ya man and instead of avoiding your buddy talk to him about putting the poison down too. Just think with you two tag teaming against the booze you guys could come out on top. You never know what's in a person's mind and he could be thinking of quitting too and just needs a nudge. Worst case scenario he will know that you are making a turn for the best and he can hop on the train or at least respect what you're doing.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi anadenanthera

I'm so glad you are here and have decided to quit, congratulations on two days that's a brilliant achievement

As far as your friend is concerned you must put yourself and your sobriety first, plus he's not much of a friend if he decides to encourage you to drink.

I'm 30lbs into the 70lbs I need to lose (all lost since I quit) and it's hard as hell to lose weight and try to include alcohol in your diet, it just doesn't work. I really love the clear headed feeling of waking up sober, working out and eating food that's good for me and my doggy loves me more because she gets more walkies lol.

Keep it up I'm rooting for you!

Heli
Old 07-16-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

Just got back from Six Flags. We stopped at Walgreens. I know my nephew expected me to walk out with an 18 pack and all I got was a Monster and a Gatorade. Feel good about it.

Congratulations on 30 lbs Helianthus!

Hope you're all doing well. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're doing great - be proud of yourself.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Congrats on day 2 and for just getting sports drinks at Walgreens. You probably made quite the impact on your nephew with that action right there!!