Notices

Reading a book that might help some people

Old 07-11-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading a book that might help some people

Hi all,

Just wanted to share something that has helped me this last week or so. I have signed up to audible and started downloading books to listen to on my commute to work.

This week I’ve been listening to ‘this naked mind’ by Annie Grace. It’s a really great book that I can relate to. It tells of the authors own struggle with alcohol and helps dispell many of the myths and untruths peddled by the media and society about alcohol. The book has helped me see alcohol for what it is and made me challenge my own internal views about the ‘romance’ of alcohol.

It’s a nice easy read or listen and well worth getting.

Just thought I’d share this.

All the best

Sneeker
Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm loading up my Kindle with recovery memoirs these days. My favorite so far is "Lit" by Mary Karr, which I just finished.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

I read the book. It is well documented. You're right in that it helps to see alcohol for what it is.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sneeker, I agree, it’s a great book. Are you aware that Annie Grace is currently running a free online course, “The Alcohol Experiment From This Naked Mind’.

The premise is a 30 day alcohol free period as an experiment, during which, once signed up, you will receive daily email links to informative video and reading material, plus access to the website forum. The course contains additional material, discovered since the book was written, and is very enlightening as to the causes of addiction and how to recover.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah its a good one. A good compliment to the Rational Recovery approach.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Yeah its a good one. A good compliment to the Rational Recovery approach.
Having followed the Annie Grace online course, whilst over a year sober, in order to investigate its viability for recommendation to a family member who suffered from addiction; I can attest that the Annie Grace course is not a good compliment to the Rational Recovery approach.

They are polar opposites. Rational Recovery teaches how to summarily dismiss the AV when it arises, by the conscious minds recognition of the desire to drink. Whereas Annie Grace focuses on attempting to influence the sub-conscious AV, into agreeing with the conscious decision not to drink.

The reason why I investigated Annie Grace’s course was because the family memer also suffers from low grade schizophrenia (well medicated) and I didn’t feel comfortable recommending AVRT which teaches recognition of the AV, given that he’d combated the voices in his head caused by schizophrenia.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Haha. Oops. Sorry. I'm not very smart. I am sober tho
Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are smart Frickaflip! The distinction I noted above, only became apparent once I’d followed the actual 30 day AG online course, hoping to assist my family member.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sneeker, if you’re still reading......just wanted to add that my AV absolutely LOVED when I read books or researched addiction, because it meant I was being passive about actually stopping, albeit educationally beneficial.

I found the most important step, was firstly engineering some hope that I had the power to stop drinking, by believing that if others had succeeded, I could too. Then secondly, taking action, by making a plan. For me, it was a permanent abstinence based Big Plan to ignore the AV - for others it’s a one day at a time plan with systems in place for AV occurances.

I wasted many years investigating ways to stop drinking that didn’t resonate with me. But when I chose a method that did, and applied it, I’ve never looked backwards; only forwards as I build my new life, where I thrive in sobriety. You can too.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whatsgoingon, I added the title you suggested to our Book List. We have lots more great titles, if you are interested:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)