Notices

This is hard but totally worth it!

Old 07-01-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is hard but totally worth it!

Hello! I have been reading posts here for a few weeks. I am a complete alcoholic. I hide my drinking from my family. I keep vodka in the closet. I like to think my family doesn't know, but in my heart I know you cant hide addiction. I haven't drank in a 4 days. I am still new to this but I think I need a bit of support. So far it has been kinda easy. I am so afraid of when the craving comes. I just wanted to log on here to have an outlet if and when I start to think a drink is "ok".
So far I think it is evil, but have read enough to know, it will try to get me!
Old 07-01-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you Jenny,
Early on when the cravings would start I would come here and post or read. The story’s of recovery forumn was my go to for reading. It gave me hope and strength. Don’t wait until things get bad to come here for support. Great people here that understand what it’s like. You can do it!
Old 07-01-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement Matt!
I feel super optimistic but also a bit guarded.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Sobriety is a wonderful thing. I've been sober for over 8 yrs and don't regret a minute of it.

I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you! I feel so much relief at this point. I know that will fade and my addiction will try come back. I really do appreciate the lessons and support here. We can do this!
Old 07-01-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jenny, Welcome!

Congratulations on 4 days of sobriety! You've come to a great place for support.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. Sobriety is a wonderful thing. I've been sober for over 8 yrs and don't regret a minute of it.

I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Thank you! I really do appreciate the reply! I look toward you for advice. So far it is all good. I love sober mornings😃
Old 07-01-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Jenny, Welcome!

Congratulations on 4 days of sobriety! You've come to a great place for support.
Thanks Anna! The welcome means a lot. We might not know each other but the support is felt!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jennyhenny

you'll find plenty of support here - and good ideas on dealing with cravings too

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 07-01-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 07-01-2018, 11:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! If you haven't yet,I'd dump out whatever vodka you have left,if any..It really helps to not have easy access.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!! You’re worth it! Keep going.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jennyhenny View Post
Hello! I have been reading posts here for a few weeks. I am a complete alcoholic. I hide my drinking from my family. I keep vodka in the closet. I like to think my family doesn't know, but in my heart I know you cant hide addiction. I haven't drank in a 4 days. I am still new to this but I think I need a bit of support. So far it has been kinda easy. I am so afraid of when the craving comes. I just wanted to log on here to have an outlet if and when I start to think a drink is "ok".
So far I think it is evil, but have read enough to know, it will try to get me!
Hi Jenny,

Vodka in the closet sounds about right! You’ll admittedly run into days that are tougher than others, but jump on here and read/post when it feels hard.

Much love!
Old 07-02-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jenny, I relate to your post. This is a good place to come so you don't feel so alone. Glad you're here!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Welcome! If you haven't yet,I'd dump out whatever vodka you have left,if any..It really helps to not have easy access.
So true. I did pour it out yesterday. I had been hanging on to it because I was very fearful of the withdraws. This is day 5 and I hope I am "out of the detox woods". I only had night sweats the first night and nothing else since. I did read that chance of seizure is possible around day 5 so I am still a bit nervous.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Jenny you sound like a really sincere and cool person and I wish you much success with your journey through sobriety. You can do this!
Old 07-02-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I quit, I didn't have a particularly hard time staying quit, but I was D.O.N.E.

Sounds like you are too.

That's good, just keep that in mind. I only had one really bad day that I wanted to drink, and I ended up calling a sober lady I met in AA. She talked me down and that was the last time I felt really in danger. That was Day 9.

I've been pretty cautious, I haven't gone to drinking parties and rarely go to bars at all - only if there is a meal involved. My social circle doesn't have any heavy drinkers. That has to be a good thing, I think.

Congrats on your life-changing decision. Welcome to the forums.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just curious, because I tend to worry. Did anyone here have any withdraw symptoms after 5 days? The stories I have read can be kinda worrisome. I like to think of a seizure was going to happen I would have had other symptoms?
Old 07-02-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
When I quit, I didn't have a particularly hard time staying quit, but I was D.O.N.E.

Sounds like you are too.

That's good, just keep that in mind. I only had one really bad day that I wanted to drink, and I ended up calling a sober lady I met in AA. She talked me down and that was the last time I felt really in danger. That was Day 9.

I've been pretty cautious, I haven't gone to drinking parties and rarely go to bars at all - only if there is a meal involved. My social circle doesn't have any heavy drinkers. That has to be a good thing, I think.

Congrats on your life-changing decision. Welcome to the forums.
I am so done! I didn't even recognize myself on the mirror. The thought of vodka makes me nauseous. I pray it stays that way. Thank you for responding and caring. Good luck to you as well☺
Old 07-02-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jennyhenny View Post
Just curious, because I tend to worry. Did anyone here have any withdraw symptoms after 5 days? The stories I have read can be kinda worrisome. I like to think of a seizure was going to happen I would have had other symptoms?
If you feel like you're in danger, you can go to Urgent Care or call your doctor. They can prescribe a short-term medication (like for a week...)

I've never heard of seizures after five days, but I don't know if it's possible.