Notices

3 yrs sober and strugle daily

Old 06-25-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 yrs sober and strugle daily

Feel so alone! Alcohol is everywhere, and it seems like everybody likes to drink. I can’t stand it. Don’t know what to do.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Satel View Post
Feel so alone! Alcohol is everywhere, and it seems like everybody likes to drink. I can’t stand it. Don’t know what to do.
Satel,

It’s good you are here instead of drinking.

What DON’T you miss about drinking?

I don’t miss the guilt. I don’t miss my red nose, or the extra calories. I don’t miss spending the money. I don’t miss the sluggish nausea feeling that would come to me about mid- morning because I was still drunk when I got to work.

I don’t miss running out to the next town that has a different late time than my town for buying wine

I’m glad you’re here please respond
Old 06-25-2018, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome, Satel.
i don't like to drink

you can't stand it why? because you want to join in, or don't meet folks who are soberly involved in other activities or because....?
Old 06-25-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I’m sober 6 years. Recently have been at a few social get togethers where I felt I was the only one not drinking. Wasn’t true, but that’s how I felt.
I concocted a vision where we were all laughing it up having a good time. Drink in hand and controlled.....
What it really would have been was going to the party with a few in me already. Just to relax you know. Have a few at the party. Maybe keep it under control or maybe not..... Get home and pass out or get home, drink a few more and pass out. Wake up and do it again.
Play the tape.
Incidentally, one of the parties was all of my neighbors. I ended up really connecting with one of them. A guy I had met and talked to years ago at a similar party. Back then I was a drinker. I’m sure I had a great conversation with him the last party, but I bet I woke up the next morning and didn’t remember anything that was said.
Your AV lies. Mine doesn’t show up often, but it still knows all the tricks to distort reality.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on three years sober!

I suggest you practice gratitude every day. Make it a habit. At least once a day think of something to be grateful for. If it's a person you're grateful for, let them know. And being grateful can make you happier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 06-26-2018, 02:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I tend to hang around around people that don't drink at all. You may have to look for them, but they are out there, I assure you!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on three years! The obsession to drink alcohol can be removed as part of working a recovery program. This is my experience and my relationship, or lack of one, towards alcohol is exactly as is described in the book Alcoholics Anonymous. For me it’s the spiritual solution that removed/removes any drink problem.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery. Struggling after three years sober is tough. Hope we can help.

Alcohol is everywhere, and it seems like everybody likes to drink. I can’t stand it.
Alcohol isn't everywhere and not everybody drinks. But I can see how you feel that way if you felt deprived of drinking, if you thought sobriety was a punishment. Is that the case?
Old 06-26-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Well done on three years! The obsession to drink alcohol can be removed as part of working a recovery program. This is my experience and my relationship, or lack of one, towards alcohol is exactly as is described in the book Alcoholics Anonymous. For me it’s the spiritual solution that removed/removes any drink problem.
Yep, me too, as brighter describes. My path is AA and here at 28 mo and change, I even work in a restaurant and with the restaurant group in another capacity and it doesn't bother me.

I'd suggest giving AA a legit shot - especially since you feel these things with that much sobriety- or if you decide something else will work if you work it (SMART, rehab, AVRT, "just SR" like some people...) you decide to work a program of action.

Best to you- you can feel better and enjoy life in recovery.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I Agree!

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Satel,

It’s good you are here instead of drinking.

What DON’T you miss about drinking?

I don’t miss the guilt. I don’t miss my red nose, or the extra calories. I don’t miss spending the money. I don’t miss the sluggish nausea feeling that would come to me about mid- morning because I was still drunk when I got to work.

I don’t miss running out to the next town that has a different late time than my town for buying wine

I’m glad you’re here please respond
I agree with everything you said,however I still get that craving to drink. But I know that all it would take is that first drink, and I would be in trouble. My family keeps me from drinking at home. And I stay away from anywhere there is drinking. I am seeing a psychiatrist for depression , and also going for counseling. I know that I am messed up, but I just take one day at a time. Thanks for listening .
Old 06-27-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like to drink!

Originally Posted by fini View Post
welcome, Satel.
i don't like to drink

you can't stand it why? because you want to join in, or don't meet folks who are soberly involved in other activities or because....?
I can’t stand it because I like drinking. But once I start I can’t stop.and I also have other issues that I am trying to get through. I don’t know where these people are that are sober regarding activities . Or maybe I’m just afraid. I don’t know.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Satel - welcome

I can’t stand it because I like drinking

I quit for some pretty good reasons. I'm sure you did too.
Maybe reminding yourself of some of those reasons might help?

Or did your family have the drivers wheel in making you quit?

I think posting and reading here definitely will help.I though the world was full of drinkers when I drank too, but its really not, and you'll find a lot of us here.

I had to do two things to stay sober - one was quit drinking, the other was build a sober life I love.

What kinds of things have you tried to get away from tyour old life and your old ways of having fun?

Gritting your teeth and feeling miserable doesn't sound like fun.

D
Old 06-28-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can’t stand it because I like drinking. But once I start I can’t stop.and I also have other issues that I am trying to get through. I don’t know where these people are that are sober regarding activities . Or maybe I’m just afraid. I don’t know.
Don't let your AV trick you. You might like some aspects of drinking but overall if you liked it you wouldn't have quit or be trying to quit.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

suggest professional support- psychologist /counsellor and meetings
Old 06-28-2018, 02:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Hi Satel, welcome to SR.

Counseling is a great idea, because it will help with your other issues besides addiction, also I would suggest some face to face interation like AA or group therapy. Building a sober life you enjoy can take a couple of months or even years in my opinion, but it's really worth it.

Congratulations on 3 years!