Notices

I Walked Down the Wine Aisle at the Local Store

Old 06-17-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Karate girl

Great job, Horn! I used to buy those same little bottles, except in Pinto Grigio. I totally get this. I always walk by them now and smirk because I know I'm not going to buy them. Keep at it
Old 06-17-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Horn,
The wonderful thing I took from your post is that you were not romanticizing about picking up a drink. It also struck me that your last post was very gracious in apologizing for any misunderstanding that may have occurred.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Whoa!! I was joking. Debbie Downer is often used as a mild, tongue in cheek thing in the U.S.

In any event, parts that I left out of the OP is that I HAVE to go down that aisle to get paper plates, which I was picking up because I had several kids at the house and did not want to break out real plates.

In any event, my post was meant to be light-hearted and a bit happy. Hence, “today is a better day.”

Honestly, some lightheartedness is good. Especially when feeling down.

In any event, Renvate, I knew what you meant, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I was going to reply that I laughed out loud (which I did), but then I thought, "what if he meant that?". LOL. But you're right - it is a common saying, mostly said in good humor.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
The liquor aisle is for losers and degenerates.
And also for people who don't have a problem with alcohol. #ResponsibleDrinkersLivesMatter
Old 06-17-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Ugh! Most stores here put it smack in the middle of the store- usually on aisle with something most people buy like soft drinks or chips an such. HA.

I avoided the "end caps" or other minor wine displays for awhile, now i might notice them for a nano second. At first in sobriety, I never took a purse in and only my wallet, with grocery bags open for whichever parent was taking me.

It gets easier and not needing of profanity
Yeah, in the states, it's an entire aisle and either next to the chips or water/soda, or you could just pick some up when you get gas. One store over here has it on the perimeter of the store, right where the deli is, and another has palettes of wine and handles of vodka on sale right smack in the middle of the store.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If your going avoid places such as an aisle in a supermarket then it's going to start impacting on your life.....

Alcohol is EVERYWHERE !@ It's you, not the alcohol that is/was the problem.

I grabbed beer for someone over the weekend and had no issues, life has to go on
Old 06-17-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Whoa!! I was joking. Debbie Downer is often used as a mild, tongue in cheek thing in the U.S.

In any event, parts that I left out of the OP is that I HAVE to go down that aisle to get paper plates, which I was picking up because I had several kids at the house and did not want to break out real plates.

In any event, my post was meant to be light-hearted and a bit happy. Hence, “today is a better day.”

Honestly, some lightheartedness is good. Especially when feeling down.

In any event, Renvate, I knew what you meant, sorry for the misunderstanding.

All good, never any hard feelings : )

I'd stay away from that asle though. Tbh there is only one reason to be there and it's to take bottles of that shelf. It's actually why i dont go into the ladies make-up area either, there is just ZERO reason to be there
Old 06-17-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

out here in wash state they eliminated the state run liquor stores so now you can get hard likker at safeway etc. as a newly sober person, the ubiquity of booze can be a bit overwhelming. now there's a whole WINE section, then a whole chilled row devoted to beer and then randomly stands with Fireball and JD.

i do not suggest trying to immune oneself by purposely walking the alcohol aisles, we don't need to TEST ourselves. we just have to accept that we aren't likely to find perfectly insulated islands of NO BOOZE.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I get it folks. I realize that I was and am the problem. In some sense I felt empowered by telling the wine to F off. It was me telling myself that i can do this. I don’t need the alcohol. I was not testing myself by purposely walking down that aisle.

Honestly, I REALLY do not WANT alcohol. It has truly sunk in that it cannot be a part of my life. What is so hard right now is making the transition and wandering how I am going to get through this period of horrible anxiety and fear. Not make it without alcohol, because that is no longer part of the equation. In some sense, that is what is so terrifying, depressing, etc. I have to find a way to happinesss and serenity and I know I cannot/won’t fall back on the old crutch.

Does that make sense?
Old 06-17-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Some of us understood the symbolism portrayed in your OP just fine.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I get it Horn, and i think your “f—- you” wine post was awesome. I went to a bar last night (to keep a friend company) and had the same thoughts!! I soberly watched my drunk friend make a fool of herself, while I drank my cranberry juice, and was just thankful I had finally found the mindset to escape sitting there being an idiot with her. Even with all those pretty lit up liquor bottles staring down at me. I knew I was majorly testing myself by even being there, yet when I left there still sober and safely drove her home, I had never felt stronger or more proud of myself, and felt like it was a huge screw you to my past. You’ve earned that!!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
out here in wash state they eliminated the state run liquor stores so now you can get hard likker at safeway etc. as a newly sober person, the ubiquity of booze can be a bit overwhelming. now there's a whole WINE section, then a whole chilled row devoted to beer and then randomly stands with Fireball and JD.

i do not suggest trying to immune oneself by purposely walking the alcohol aisles, we don't need to TEST ourselves. we just have to accept that we aren't likely to find perfectly insulated islands of NO BOOZE.
Anvil I so agree! the first time I walked into a Safeway in Vancouver Wa. I almost fled the area, no one told me that it was an alcoholics nirvana in there. Whole new spin on just buying a loaf of bread.

badge
Old 06-18-2018, 01:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I occasionally walk down the wine aisle to be smug and see how much money I've saved. I have several years under my belt though and would stay very far away from that aisle if I were in my first year of sobriety.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

The liquor laws in different states baffle me. Laws about when you can buy it are all over the place, and its not just in the "Bible Belt" that you can't on Sundays- GA has slowly changed its tune but in some counties the new (buy on Sun after 1230) law is somehow disregarded. TN it's 24/7 except from midnight Sat til stores open Sun...where stuff is sold is all diff (like NC/SC ABC- Alcohol and Bev control) is only place to buy liquor, yet one incorporated beach town is long known for being the rebel of that part of the coast and basically follows no state laws....

As said above- it's all over. Whether that's the money of the liquor biz, training people to want it/its cool/etc, or .... not to mention that around here even the most popular BAGEL deli now has champagne and beer, le sigh.

Coming to "peace" with it just being a fact of life is a process ....

Thanks for sharing about your good day, Horn.