Notices

Quit drinking, now can't quit smoking...

Old 06-10-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit drinking, now can't quit smoking...

Quit drinking a little over 40 days ago, now I've been smoking non stop! I even got one of those e-cigarettes and I'm smoking it all the time and feeling lethargic. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-10-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep! I found when I quit I was smoking more. Lots of people on SR managed to give up drinking, smoking, sugar etc all at the same time, I was not one of them.
Like you, I also bought a vapor but it still didn't stop me completely sigh.
Next thing I have to tackle, I guess.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I smoke more will work on that later
Old 06-10-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same here I smoke too not sure those e-cig things are any good for stopping as they don't break the habit of putting something to your mouth and taking a drag etc. I joined a smoking cessation program and got patches and mouth spray although am yet to start them as just too much for me right now with battling so many other addictions. I have a few friends who were heavy smokers for 20+ years and managed to quit successfully with patches etc but before that they tried ecigs and always ended up smoking again infact even more heavily as they were taking in way more nicotine from the ecigs. I know smoking will definitely go soon enough though it's a horrible unenjoyable addiction especially if into exercise which I am.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
J50

Allen Carr has a book on quitting smoking that has pretty good reviews. He also wrote one on quitting drinking.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I'm on the same boat with the cigs, have been smoking 1 pack a day. The first month is the worst, the physical cravings are really annoying, but I won't give up, didn't buy a pack today and I intend to stay that way.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I vape on e-cigs too i don't care what the media says, I got health benefits from it and not a single person has actually died from vaping. I can now breathe better, no more smokers cough I can run/walk as if im a non smoker. The real question they should be asking is not how many people it might kill but how many people it will save.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I managed to quit smoking completely by switching to vaping and I was a pretty heavy smoker.
What strength is the nicotine in your E-juice? I started with 12mg and am now down to 6mg, next week or so I will drop to 3mg.
The trick is to use a device and higher nicotine juice to get a strong throat hit that mimics a cigarette
Old 06-10-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah my smoking escalated to a pack a day after I quit drinking and it took almost 8 months to quit. It really brings everything else to the forefront (diet, fitness, etc.) so it's not easy but definitely rewarding and I'd recommend doing it sooner than later.

I used to say "make sure not drinking is your priority", which I still stand by.. but the truth is the longer you allow smoking to become a sober habit the harder it is to break. Or at least that's how it was starting to feel for me..
Old 06-10-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I quit smoking after being sober for almost 5 months. I felt ready to do it. Did the nicotine lozenges for 4 days and then decided I didn't want to drag that out for 12 weeks like the package recommends. They say the first 72 hours is the hardest. I put a countdown timer app on my phone to start at 72 hours after my last lozenge. Anyway, the first 3 days were indeed the worst. How people quit is different for everyone. I can tell you I've very happy to be done smoking! Totally worth it! Feel way more healthy.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't feel too bad. I can't quit dip for the life of me. I'm gonna give chantix a go if my doc green lights it. It's definitely time to stop. Best of luck to you in quiting!