Notices

Thought I was losing my mind

Old 06-05-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought I was losing my mind

My brain has stopped functioning compared to as it was under the influence.
It was swift and fluent. I didn't have to spell check. I didn't forget words
I didn't get so tired all the time. Feeling off par....
Then I read an article on PAWS and it all makes perfect sense
Knowledge is power after all.
I've managed to bugger up my little grey cells and now understand it can take up to 2 years to have them happy again. Oh my!
7 days sober and its a marathon ahead.
You lot are gonna have me around a little longer than I thought.
Exercise and meditation is a must. Is guitar playing meditation? I like doing that.
Didn't get that first swim under my belt as planned other stuff came up. TOMORROW I go with my new bathers.
Imagine that, I was a super brain. Now relegated to the knuckle dragging age of neanderthal. Should I be driving still? Should I be in charge of a deep fat fryer?
Note to self: Don't make any major life changing decisions in this condition. Must use a professional...
I have a lot to contemplate so its time to go...
Stay safe
Dave
Old 06-05-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Been there my friend. I have 6 months and I can tell you it does get easier. There are still some spells that come from here and there that feel like ive lost it but they are shorter and farther in between then they used to be. The one thing that i have played around with that has made a world of difference is diet. We drunks are notorious for our healthy eating habits and the amount of sugar in alcohol that is now gone can bring some weird stuff. I hope you are well. Stay strong.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Cobber
I used to use sweetener in tea and coffee but have replaced it with sugar now to make up for sugar loss. Only temporarily. I drink gallons of tea (slight exaggeration). I didn't partake of the sauce in Jan or Feb this year and then tried to do too much too soon. This time just concentrating and working on one thing ..All energy diverted to one goal..Hey ho
Old 06-05-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

PAWS is post acute withdrawal syndrome. You are seven days sober. Too early for PAWS. You are suffering plain, old early recovery.

It passes. So does PAWS. Don't let it knock you off course.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I won't but genuinely am suffering poor concentration and my spelling is atrocious at the moment. Constantly checking ....It's good to be forewarned that it's "Normal" for it to be this way and for some time to. Thanks for reply doggonecarl ....
Old 06-05-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Foggy brain is real and no fun. I has the feeling of being 'less intelligent' too which is very frustrating.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Porcetta
Doesn't it just hurt to think?
Haha
Old 06-05-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sitting around 100 days sober and Paws is the real deal. Every now and then I will get a break and feel normal. The bad days are around more than the good ones but at least there are some good ones. Keep moving forward and before you know it you will be at a month.. then two months.. etc.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had PAWS bad for a solid year, it's easing now and my thoughts are becoming clear. The only way to make it though is to abstain and keep trucking on.

It goes away slowly and can come crashing back on you. It can change and to me PAWS is best described as a slow ride through insanity. It tends to come and go in waves so don't get discouraged if it does recede and come back.

It does get better though, it really really does. My head is clearer than it's been in longer than I can remember, I was sauced for more than 20 years.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rockfish I got brain fog real bad. I would go from thinking pretty clearly to about that of a sea anemone in the same day. I found excersise and challenging my brain helped.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rockfish75 View Post
Knowledge is power...
Fantastic post. ^^ This part...yessssss.

Yep. Our brains are plastic things. An old German Carpenter once told me when I was doing my apprenticeship - "kid, there's no point sprinting in a marathon."

Funny that I remind myself of that often. I think the biggest threat to my sobriety right now is getting caught up in that feeling of wanting/ needing it all to be good right now.

We just have to trust the process. When people say "be good to yourself" it's not some altruisitc b.s. It's actually quite practical. Necessary. We have to keep ourselves in a nurturing environment with things so that our brains and souls can do the work of healing.

I think of it as an indirect sort of arrangement. I can't push it. I can just create an environment around me to encourage it. Knowledge, nutrition, meditation, etc..

Of course, the cornerstone is staying sober. Just doing that is working wonders.

Good on ya for 7 days.

B
Old 06-05-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yea, 'spoil' yourself. Eat nice food, buy a magazine you normally wouldn't. Spend $4 more on syrup mixer to drink.

One day at a time on the rollercoaster
Old 06-05-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gah, yes, that washing machine head in early sobriety is a killer, but PAWS is something that can come later (months into sobriety). Mine gotvgradually worse over the first month, and st that point I gave in and went along to AA so I could benefit from the experiences of ithers who'd been in my position. They gave me some good advise then, and have continued to do so these last 4 years.

That washing machine head will still benefit from working on your recovery though. Dees thread on making a plan is a good one.

And yes re taking care over major decisions. And also, take care on acting on emotions - FEAR. False Emotions Appearing Real. When you are angry or heartbroken or sick with shame - Pause. And talk to someone about it to get a reality check.
Pause.Post.Perspective.
There are certain folk on here who I've asked for help with this a lot over the years. One of them I now consider a dear friend. (He even sent me the hand made wooden anchor on my avatar pic. It's precious to me). Other times I reach out to my AA sponsor or others from my local group. Left to my own devises those little things (that I can easily work through once perspective is gained) could easily become a new rationalisation for drink, or just make sobriety miserable.

BB
Old 06-06-2018, 12:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and experiences
Old 06-06-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dave - I was at the point I though I'd always be foggy headed but it went away. I felt much sharper after a month.

I hope you will too.

If Paws does occur later on (and not everyone gets it) mine was a little different to other peoples - I had a tough day here or there, not a long protracted thing

D