Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I cannot stop myself from getting drunk when I have access to alcohol

Notices

I cannot stop myself from getting drunk when I have access to alcohol

Old 07-01-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Hey, Addy, thinking of you and wishing you the best on your journey to recovery.

Remember, this is a non-judgmental, supportive and understanding group.

*Everyone* here has been in a deep, dark place due to alcohol abuse.

So, how about an update, my friend?
Old 07-08-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Addy

For those who genuinely supported me here... I tried but failed. I have not been drinking publicly for the last many days but the bottle touches my lips the moment I get down from the bus, even before I enter the house. I have been drinking till I pass out. A couple of times I avoided buying alcohol on the way back from work but I felt so irritated and restless that I went out again and got it. Every moment I am wearing a suit, I feel this uncontrollable urge to drink. I pull through the day only to experience that moment when I will get the taste of alcohol on my tongue. I know it's not good but I can't control my thoughts after all. All my body, mind just waits for the day to end so that I can get drunk.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that Addy. Maybe you need to put the decision in someone else hand for a while and check into a rehab facility? Sometimes we need to truly turn our fate over to the hands of others for help when extreme measures are needed.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hi Addy, welcome back. It's great that you're back. It shows you still want to keep trying to beat this. Scott is right, some outside help could be the answer.

It's also why I kept asking about the doctor you were going to see. It wasn't to be an annoyance, it was because that would at least be some professional help.

I think you do need to start thinking of other ways to beat this, Addy. You don't have to be a prisoner to this - you're smart - smart enough to beat this.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back Addy

It was very hard for me to stop drinking. I was iritable, restless, ill, scared,
anxious and angry - I wasn't sure if I was going to be ok or if I was dying.

Things got better the more days I got through sober though

If you can't stand the restlessness and irritability of not drinking though I think rehab is your best option going forward?

D
Old 07-09-2018, 12:22 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Hi Addy,

My hard time of the day is right after work as well. If I go left out of the office I make it to the bus without a bar, if I go right, I'm done for. I will be thinking good thoughts for you tomorrow as I turn left and hoping you made it home safe.

Just curious, can you change out of your suit before you get home?
Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

You can quit, Addy. It's just making a decision and then following through, no matter what.

A doctor can prescribe a short-term medication to get you past the initial discomfort that comes with stopping. We all had to go through exactly what you are going through. Anxiety, overwhelming desire to drink. All of that is completely normal, but it goes away.

Keep trying, buddy. You deserve a good and sober life. You'll finally know peace. Maybe go see that doc and be truthful with him/her.

I hope you stick around.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Addy

I have returned to the forum after 8 months

Hi all who were very supportive... I tried quittin in last 8 months, was even successful to some extent... Yes I avoided wearing suits to work.
but after a couple of months it bounced back... Worse than before. And I've got caught in its grip once again
Old 08-10-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Addy

I need to talk to someone

Is anyone online. I need to talk to someone... To stop me from drinking any more. I'm not able to control but want to. Please help. Anyone
Old 08-10-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Glad you found your way back here Addy and it’s good to see you. You can do this, I have faith in you and I know you want this too. x
Old 08-10-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Welcome back. You are with people here who totally understand. I am struggling too but being here makes it a little easier
Old 08-10-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Addy

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Glad you found your way back here Addy and it’s good to see you. You can do this, I have faith in you and I know you want this too. x
thanks... But I've fallen into it again.
Please stop me from having any more alcohol right now
Old 08-10-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Addy

Like everyday I am in a businessman suit dur tk my office requirements. I finished office, started walking, saw a store... Ignored it... But the second one I could not and I started with my first drink... I don't want to be carried home today as well
Old 08-10-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Addy2204 View Post
thanks... But I've fallen into it again.
Please stop me from having any more alcohol right now
Nobody here can stop you from drinking. We don't have that power. The power to stop is within you. If the presence of alcohol make you drink it, removing yourself from alcohol is the only option. That sounds like rehab.

Or jail.

Take option one if you are able.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

That's how alcoholism works.
It becomes your best friend. Go to AA and suck it up while you can. Don't be like me.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:28 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

alcohol is a scam. it promises pain relief, help with anxiety, it's social, it's fun, it's sexy...it's a LIE! it ruins lives, health, relationships, work... it takes minutes to change your thinking process, and when you figure out that you are in an abusive, manipulative relationship with alcohol, it takes a lot longer to change it back. it's never too late to start a sober life, but it's never too early either. please get help.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Addy, I’ve read a lot of this thread. My heart breaks for you. We all want the best for you. But I have to ask you one question.

Are you done yet?

You’re suffering. But have you suffered enough to do something different or do you need to suffer more? The choice is yours.

If you are drinking daily you might consider going to the hospital and letting them help you detox. Once you’re detoxed they can help you find a treatment center. That may sound like a big bite to take, but it is the first step in stopping the suffering.

FYI, I’ve passed out on the road too. Cops came at the report of a dead body. Point is, I’ve been there man, lots of us have. It is NOT hopeless. But I will tell you this, if you continue to drink, it only gets worse. A question to ask yourself: what are you waiting for to get help?
Old 08-11-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

BeABetterMan - what a heartfelt, empathetic and totally honest post.

There's nothing I can add to what BABM has said, Addy2204, except that it should give you some real hope and motivation. And how good would it be to finally stop suffering. It would be so great to hear that you've been able to move forward.