Notices

Binging out of control

Old 05-31-2018, 01:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binging out of control

Hi 1st time poster although I have visited the forum on occasion. My drinking has got progressively worse over the past 18 months. What were once 2-3 day binges are turning into 5/6/7. I'm worried about my health both mental and physical. My relationship with it is probably related to it acting as a coping mechanism for previous anxiety/depression and now it's got out of control.

Once I manage to not feel too bad to start again I.e. Pick myself up and go to the gym/work I can remain sober for a giving time but I'm always tempted to have a drink and one drink is always putting me at risk of going on a binge.

I've taken some time off work and have an appointment with a therapist although that's not for another week.

Any advice/comments are welcome

DRMax
Old 05-31-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome...DR.
In the sticky's you will find a lot of helpful info..first off I would suggest a plan of action...not just rely on willpower.
I do not know of any- who have got sober by themself..so support is vital..a counsellor, GP for a health check and to look at your dep/anx (I have and I do have d/a), and meetings..lots of meetings. I use SR every night. In the last 2 years (about) I have not checked in daily- only twice..one was a statewide blackout..and the other a computer virus. Look ast the Class of May '18 thread and join..get involved- share.
Support to you.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I drank like you for many many years. It only got worse. Find your path out before it swallows you up. You'll get plenty of advice and support here.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks PhoenixJ

Having tried to put a hold on this for a while to no avail, all support is appreciated.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hooped View Post
Welcome! I drank like you for many many years. It only got worse. Find your path out before it swallows you up. You'll get plenty of advice and support here.
Hi Hooped thanks for the response I worry it's getting to that point and the last year feels like it's went in so quick and I don't have much to look back on. I hope I can address whatever void I'm filling with alcohol
Old 05-31-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hangover city again.

I cannot deal with this. Back to day 1, and I am in the usual mire of angst.

Picked up with the full knowledge of what was coming after and it's not pretty. Not even at lunchtime yet and I have my stagger up to the shops planned.

My hubby is going to tell his Mum & Dad & this time it's game over for me. I am a nice person usually and somehow the wicked witch of the west inhabits me, I know what happens, I know how to recover. Such a know it all and I forget the basics.

Beyond sad, SP
Old 05-31-2018, 02:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey SP

I get that feeling all too frequently of late. My relationship has been struggling due to my drinking for a long time. It's hard starting again which I'm doing every other week now.

I hope you can work things out. Stay strong. DR
Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello DRMax.....welcome

Just thought you might like to join us in one of the daily threads.....here are a couple of links for you.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ne-2018-a.html (Weekender 31 May - 4 June 2018)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-387-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 387)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And Sweetpea honey.....we love you and are here for you.....glad you are posting in the 24 today....
Old 05-31-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Every person who quits has to go through an extended period of really wanting to drink despite their decision to quit.

You have to tough it out. It is uncomfortable for a while. Not forever. Just don't pick up that first drink.

Keep doing that - eventually the habit gets replaced with other things.

Stay busy, distract, replace and improve.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DRMax View Post

Once I manage to not feel too bad to start again I.e. Pick myself up and go to the gym/work I can remain sober for a giving time but I'm always tempted to have a drink and one drink is always putting me at risk of going on a binge.

DRMax
Yep, that's a common problem.
There is this flood of anxiety, depression, pain from going on long binges. After a few days of abstaining, of doing 'good things' like going to the gym, cooking, being creative etc, we start to feel normal. We then think we are normal enough that we can have a drink and stop, but usually this leads to binges that were even worse than the last one.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lots of us fit the description.

I learned that the amount of time between binges doesn't matter. I've also learned/ stopped denying that alcoholism isn't just about the times I'm drunk. I see clearly now that almost all of my waking hours were defined by my relationship & habit with booze. The immediate physical recovery after a bender, the image I had to keep up that no, I didn't just get smashed and blackout Friday, the money I was spending stupidly, the list goes on and on. I even learned that I'd built a TON of walls around me and healthy relationships because I simply couldn't afford to let people see what was really going on.

My habit was binging once a week or every other week. At times I'd go as hard as twice a week. Occasionally I'd go 3 weeks. But the cycle was always... always the same. Sure, not every binge ended with me face down blacked out. But most did. To the point where I'd actually developed a bit of fear about drinking - knowing that once I started there was a less than 50/50 chance I'd stop. Who am I kidding? 95% of the time I bet I just drank myself into a stupor with some form of negative consequence...

Nope, don't miss it. No thank you very much.

What you describe is serious. It can/ will destroy you eventually. Only question is how long and in what form.

I'd suggest using this great place for support - you certainly aren't alone or some kind of monster - and to educate yourself on the nature of alcoholism - the whole big nasty picture. It seems to me you are peeking your head just outside the cloud of denial and taking a look around. Good on you!! I say take the opportunity and go all in on sobriety.

I mean, really, specifically, what about alcohol will we really miss?

Best to you-

B
Old 05-31-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The support here really helped DRMax - it really made a difference in that drink...feel sad...time passes...feel good..drink cycle.

The more times you can come here rather than drinking the better off you'll be

D
Old 05-31-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Every person who quits has to go through an extended period of really wanting to drink despite their decision to quit.

You have to tough it out. It is uncomfortable for a while. Not forever. Just don't pick up that first drink.

Keep doing that - eventually the habit gets replaced with other things.

Stay busy, distract, replace and improve.
Orrr you can wreck your car, get arrested, and have the whole charade come crashing down in one quite dramatic moment... thereby providing plenty of short term incentive to NOT drink but plenty of garbage and maybe legal & financial issues to face and clean up. Just sayin'.

I really do wonder sometimes which is worse - the relatively dramatic and quick collapse caused by some incident or other - or the long, sometimes decades slow, rot from the inside out. Whatever I guess... I simply can not describe how liberating it feels to know I won't have to face either for the rest of my living days.

-B

PS - Apologies on the hijack there...