Notices

Trying for a sober birthday and a sober life

Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

CaraLara - sober is the new black made me laugh. Love it lol

wiseheart - that tiny cabin in the woods sounds soooo wonderful. what a beautiful, peaceful way to spend your birthday

Willow - you know, you could employ some of our highly developed sneaky ways for getting alcohol into a sneaky way for avoiding it. For instance I've poured tea into the rum bottle to make it look full. water into the vodka bottle and apple juice looks a bit like beer. You could also empty out a six pack and fill them with near-beer. Nobody would be the wiser and you could relax and enjoy with no worries. Gotta protect your health and inner peace at all costs. Especially so early in your sobriety. Whatever it takes!
Old 05-24-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi yinzer, yep I’m stocking up on cranberry juice and soda water, plus some non-alcoholic wine that’s really just yummy grape juice 😊
Thanks Rar, I just got up and starting day 12. It’s 7.30am Friday here in 0z. I know the AV will be hounding me, along with a couple of heavy drinking friends who always encourage everyone to drink. A lot. But I’m stronger than them. I’m glad I started before my birthday and didn’t wait till my actual birthday because I’m feeling so much better and stronger now. I’m not going to wake up with a hangover!

Thanks luvsoberlife, great idea 😊 although the time zones are different people still seem to post at various times

Yes rjyerkes, I’ve been thinking about that. I managed 2 low key social occasions last week by only staying for 2 hours (I don’t have that option this time but I can plead sick and go to bed if it gets too much). But I also took a bottle of non-alcoholic grape juice that looks like wine and nobody knew I wasn’t drinking alcohol. Part of me wants to be up front, but this early I know the pressure from friends to “go on it’s your birthday, yo’ve gotta have a celebratory drink with us” added to the AV might be a bit much. I’m wondering if maybe I should just pretend to drink to get through this and then I can come clean about it at a later time when I’m stronger perhaps ..... It feels dishonest, but I’ve been lying about drinking so long, maybe lying about not drinking just to get through this event is ok. I’m a bit torn between honesty and survival. But when I put it like that, I think I’d have to pick survival. I’ve already told the 3 closet people to me that I’m not drinking. Sadly one wasn’t impressed at all and hopes I’ll change my mind and drink! But the other 2 said it’s my choice (of course it’s my choice) but they’ll be drinking.

Sober is the new black! ! ! 😊 (thanks Cara)
Old 05-24-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks D these are great

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My best birthdays have all been sober ones

I guess its hard not to do anything for your birthday, especially if others have made plans for you - but it is possible to stay sober.

There are some great tips here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

The bottom line is - its your birthday - do what you want.

The other thing to remember is - its the first drink that restarts the madness , not the last.

Don't take that first drink - make your 50th special

D
Thanks D, great tips! 😊
Old 05-24-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

rjyerkes - Lol! Yes if we could bottle our collective sneaky, devious ingenuity and use it for good, we could solve world peace.

willow68 - thank you for your warm wishes. I also love luvsoberlife's suggestion. I will definitely be looking for your posts when I return!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Distorted Me View Post
You got this Willow!

Maybe you can start a Willow's birthday party support thread the morning of the big day and use it as a support tool throughout the day. We're all going to be thinking about you anyway and we're going to worry if we don't hear much from you. It might be cool to post every so often on how you're doing and, in turn, get messages of support throughout the day from us.
If you end up locking yourself away, you'll know exactly where to look for support. It will be like having some of us near by you all day to communicate with. We are definitely stronger together.

Just a thought.
Thanks DistortedMe. This is a really great idea, I think I’ll do this tomorrow morning before the craziness begins.... 😊 I’m feeling so much more confident with everyone’s support on SR, you are all amazing!
Old 05-24-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Distorted me, this may sound a bit silly, but I just had an epiphany! About how distorted my mental functioning really is when drinking. I was reading back through posts and I automatically assumed I’d made a mistake when I responded to luvsoberlife, because I was always making mistakes when drinking... Then I remembered that I was actually sober for a change and realised I hadn’t been mistaken. The key being that I’ve become so used to making mistakes about everything when wine sozzled that it’s become “normal” for me to 1. make mistakes all the time and 2. Instantly assume I’ve made mistakes because of 1. But that’s so far from normal. No more wine sozzled mistakes for me. I can make enough mistakes sober without exponentially increasing it by drinking lol
Old 05-25-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Willow,

I relate so much to posting while drunk.

I posted a cpl things on here that I couldn't delete due to the 15 min timer and the next day was nervous to even come back lol. Miraculously those posts were not as bad as I thought and were even well received and helpful to some people. Praise the Lord

I'm sick enough the next day anyway and then the fuzzy snippets of happily typing away on the laptop come thru and I panic. I dread looking. It's like having another personality that I constantly have to do damage control for. It's exhausting

I'm worried that your friends aren't supporting you right now. The 3 people closest to you seem like they're not taking you seriously yet so perhaps it would be best to pretend to drink for this one time? I hate lying too and I'm not very good at it but being so early in your sobriety maybe it's best?

People hate it when we change. They fear it. It all comes down to their own insecurities. If you decide to stand your ground and say to everyone that this is the new you at 50 and some protest...just remember that those are probably the ones who know, deep down, they have a problem and are afraid you'll judge them from a sober perspective. "So come on! Get drunk with us!" They'll have to fight their own battles.

You might have one or two peeps that join you in being sober though and admire your strength. There's always one or two people that don't drink and enjoy talking to another sober person at parties.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi everyone 😊

Thanks Rjyerkes 😊 I have decided to drink my “fake” wine and most people will be none the wiser.... you’re right, the ones that protest the loudest are those that drink the most.... I am feeling strong this morning 💪 and intend to resist efforts to get me drunk (there will be efforts made I’m sure).

I just got up, it’s 7am here in Oz, the start of day 13 and my birthday party is tonight and my last day of being 49 years old (my actual birthday is tomorrow/Sunday). Thanks to everyone here I’m feeling so much more positive and confident about staying sober today. You’re all amazingly supportive and you’re right, it’s MY choice to stay sober.

When I joined SR I was feeling like I would cave in to the AV, but I’ve realised I wasn’t fully committed to staying sober. Sure I wanted to, but the AV had it’s sneaky tentacles in my mind telling me it didn’t matter if I caved in, I could drink and always start again the next day.... But I can now see that so much more clearly! What an insidious and ruthless thing the AV is. Now that I see more clearly I’m more committed to staying sober today and always.

I’m off to a yoga class this morning (I’m so looking forward to it). I’ll check in later 😊
Old 05-25-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rjyerkes View Post
People hate it when we change. They fear it. It all comes down to their own insecurities. If you decide to stand your ground and say to everyone that this is the new you at 50 and some protest...just remember that those are probably the ones who know, deep down, they have a problem and are afraid you'll judge them from a sober perspective. "So come on! Get drunk with us!" They'll have to fight their own battles.

You might have one or two peeps that join you in being sober though and admire your strength. There's always one or two people that don't drink and enjoy talking to another sober person at parties.
This really resonates with me rjerkes, I think a couple of my friends know they have their own alcohol issues and they like me to be part of the “drinking club”. The more the merrier is really that the more people drinking or drunk justifies them to be like that themselves... They worry if people try to break away from drinking, because it makes them question their own actions. I have a separate friend who’s not in my usual group of drinking friends, who doesn’t drink at all and I’m going to cultivate this friendship more. I’ve not really tried to do this in the past....
Old 05-25-2018, 09:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sooooo here goes, I’m getting armed with a full glass of non-alcoholic wine ready to do battle with the AV and all the drinking well-wishers..... I’m going to enjoy myself with sparkling grape juice 🙂
Old 05-25-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Sooooo here goes, I’m getting armed with a full glass of non-alcoholic wine ready to do battle with the AV and all the drinking well-wishers..... I’m going to enjoy myself with sparkling grape juice 🙂
I'm virtually supporting you every step of the way!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I don't even know you but I feel so proud of you! This takes tons of courage. You're a lion tonight!

Oh and happy 50th birthday
Old 05-25-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many Happy returns Willow

D
Old 05-26-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks rjyerkes and D 😊 4 hours in an I’ve drank a bottle and a bit of alcohol free wine! Only my sister knows I’m drinking grape juice and she’s been awesome. Everyone is lovely and having fun. A few drunk friends have already gone home (thankfully). I’ve been given lots of lovely presents and 5 bottles of yummy wine!! (Which I won’t be drinking).

Thanks for your support, I couldn’t do it without you all on SR!
Old 05-26-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you have a great rest of the evening willow

D
Old 05-26-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Distorted me, this may sound a bit silly, but I just had an epiphany! About how distorted my mental functioning really is when drinking. I was reading back through posts and I automatically assumed I’d made a mistake when I responded to luvsoberlife, because I was always making mistakes when drinking... Then I remembered that I was actually sober for a change and realised I hadn’t been mistaken. The key being that I’ve become so used to making mistakes about everything when wine sozzled that it’s become “normal” for me to 1. make mistakes all the time and 2. Instantly assume I’ve made mistakes because of 1. But that’s so far from normal. No more wine sozzled mistakes for me. I can make enough mistakes sober without exponentially increasing it by drinking lol
This is me too. Sometimes I even say things and after stop and wonder if I had too much to drink. Drinking dwindled confidence in myself. Then I realize I'm sober and said it from my sober self. I am gaining confidence and feel better about saying and doing things.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Rar

Hang in there Willow. You're doing an awesome job! Glad you're having a good and sober time.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks D and Rar, I did it! I’m off to bed soon. Sober. So glad I could do it. I’ll wake up hangover-free 😊
Old 05-26-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Rar

YAY! I didn't realize your party was going on while I was sleeping. . Glad you had a sober time and again, Happy Birthday.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Way to go!! And the posts here about living the next half of life sober are so inspiring. Your thread helped you and it’s helping others. You done good!!