Notices

The Fun Weekend Drunk Dad! Part 2

Old 05-19-2018, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Fun Weekend Drunk Dad! Part 2

On Friday I slayed the dragon as he tried to claw lies and false promises into my alcoholic mind.

On Saturday I awoke with so much energy and vigor, I took my daughter to the park, played put put golf and ice cream all the while being fully engaged in her happiness and not through the selfish filter of "sure lets do that...(let me grab my beer)." My wife loved our daddy daughter date and so did I. It felt like like a dream and memory at the same time. A memory of what life was like before all the tragedies and a dream for what life could be...both filled with a happiness I have long lost.

I sometimes will hear the sound of a bird or the taste of watermelon and close my eyes and for just a moment I find peace in the innocence of the experience.

As I write these words the dragon took control tonight. I know the next sunrise will be met with disappointment and sadness mixed with empty budweiser bottles as my wife and daughter will realize when the clock struck midnight their prince turned back into a drunk.

I continue to always have hope because the next bird singing are next bite of juicy watermelon may bring me back to the start of it all.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe instead of a dragon you can envisage your addiction as a toddler - weak whiny and noisy when it doesn't get its own way but ultimately powerless.

If you refuse to give in to its demands - if you refuse to get booze and then drink it - there's nothing The Toddler can do.

Will it be uncomfortable? probably.

Worse than putting your own daughter to be when she didn't want to go?
Not really

You can do this. Be the parent, man

D
Old 05-19-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, I'm proud of you. When you failed you came here and you know what you sacrificed tonight. I truly believe there's value in that.

You said no yesterday and you can say no again tomorrow. I believe in you!
Old 05-19-2018, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you serious? Then this toddler is a maniacal chucky doll with a meat clever.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Maybe instead of a dragon you can envisage your addiction as a toddler - weak whiny and noisy when it doesn't get its own way but ultimately powerless.

If you refuse to give in to its demands - if you refuse to get booze and then drink it - there's nothing The Toddler can do.

Will it be uncomfortable? probably.

Worse than putting your own daughter to be when she didn't want to go?
Not really

You can do this. Be the parent, man

D
Old 05-19-2018, 10:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I'm serious. I don't joke about recovery.

Keep reading and posting man

I really hope you'll come to see you can give yourself a lot more power and your addiction a lot less
Old 05-20-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very well written stuff. I've been where you are many many many times as a father and a husband. Hard as it is sometimes, I know this sober path is a better one.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job getting back here Matt. I can relate so much to your situation. Many a day I was sober and had the perfect day with my family or daughter. I would be so proud of myself for being sober and happy that I would get drunk. What better reward, right? Hardly.

Do you keep alcohol at home. I can't. If it is there I will drink it. Maybe not today, or even tomorrow, but it is too much temptation. If i have to take the time to go to the store to buy it that usually gives me enough time to rethink that first drink. It gives me enough time to post here or call someone, if it comes to that.

Keep at it Matt. You and your family are worth it. You can do it.