Notices

The promises of recovery: get recovered, it’s great!

Old 05-06-2018, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The promises of recovery: get recovered, it’s great!

This has been my experience; I also know it’s the experience of many who I know from AA and indeed many on SR. I believe these promises of recovery can obviously be attained through AA but also any other program that achieves a psychic change within the person. The drink problem is removed and providing one continues to practice the principles on a daily basis then it stays this way. The mind becomes peaceful and life can be enjoyed and stressful situations dealt with in a rational adaptive manner. This has been my experience. Anybody can get this providing they are 100% honest, willing, and remain teachable. In my experience a belief in a power great than oneself (god) is all that’s required to enable the mechanism of action to spark this profound psychic change. This can then develop over time depending on the individual and their beliefs and experiences.

“We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear.
We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
Self-seeking will slip away.
Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.
They will always materialize if we work for them” (AA, ‘The Promises’)
Old 05-06-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing x x
Old 05-06-2018, 03:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOVE this post. There is a book I have read to pieces on this same subject--GIFTS OF SOBRIETY by Barbara Cole. It ties in the promises with the steps beautifully. Such a peaceful read.

Thank you for posting!
Old 05-06-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No problem. My message of recovery will always be positive as this has been my experience. Certainly not always easy (life on life’s terms) but always positive and so rewarding.

Gratefu to be sober...
Old 05-06-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Couldn't agree more. Everything in my life is better sober and my gratitude for the life I have, which is one I could not have imagined, is immeasurable.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love the positive msg here on this thread.My HP is filling my life with miracles I'm taking action on the steps. My psychic change is well and truly underway!!
Sober G
Old 05-06-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting the 10 "promises" of long term sobriety Brighterday .

Our AA group always read these at the conclusion of every meeting ,....and even though I never believed in any concept of the existence of a *God * per say,...

My experience was the same as yours . I believe it's almost impossible to avoid a profound psychic change once we ,.... ,...witness these changes in others , and truly believe :

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

They will always. materialize if we work. for them”

Being from the deep south ,....and having Baptist Preachers, Pentecostal Preachers, Tent Revival Preachers in my family ( who I dearly love ),...the idea of fundamental Theism is a powerful resource !

For personal reasons I remain a sober, grateful and joyful closet Atheist .
Old 05-06-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love the promises. They do come true if you put in the work and let them come.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by topspin View Post

Thanks for posting the 10 "promises" of long term sobriety Brighterday .

Our AA group always read these at the conclusion of every meeting ,....and even though I never believed in any concept of the existence of a *God * per say,...

My experience was the same as yours . I believe it's almost impossible to avoid a profound psychic change once we ,.... ,...witness these changes in others , and truly believe :

They will always. materialize if we work. for them”

Being from the deep south ,....and having Baptist Preachers, Pentecostal Preachers, Tent Revival Preachers in my family ( who I dearly love ),...the idea of fundamental Theism is a powerful resource !

For personal reasons I remain a sober, grateful and joyful closet Atheist .
Thank you for sharing. SR truly is a wonderful resource. Greetings from England and it’s great to know that even across the world in a very different culture in terms of the prevalence of Christianity compared to the part of England that I’m from our experiences resonate! Truly a great recovery resource is SR!

Grateful to be sober