Notices

Finally want to see a Doctor

Old 05-02-2018, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally want to see a Doctor

Basically, the title says it all. I need to see someone for my insomnia, anxiety, depression, and alcoholism. I am beyond sick of living like this. My question is, how do I find a good doc? I tried about 6 years ago and the guy was a total dick. How do I avoid that?I live in Los Angeles, in case anyone has any reccomendations. Thanks all, I really appreciate any help.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I really would love a reply from anyone. I can't go for a couple days and the shakes are setting in.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi babycat.

I also went and saw a doctor about the same problems, and like you, i thought he was not very helpful. He told me " you cant have a drinking problem if you drink less then your doctor"

i think he thought i was just complaining until i told him my intake.

Perhaps you should try a Female doctor to get a better response to your needs?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renvate View Post
Hi babycat.

I also went and saw a doctor about the same problems, and like you, i thought he was not very helpful. He told me " you cant have a drinking problem if you drink less then your doctor"

i think he thought i was just complaining until i told him my intake.

Perhaps you should try a Female doctor to get a better response to your needs?

Thank you love, that is not a bad idea. They seem to have a bit more empathy in general.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
Basically, the title says it all. I need to see someone for my insomnia, anxiety, depression, and alcoholism.
What do think a doctor will do for your alcoholism?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
What do think a doctor will do for your alcoholism?
I honestly have no idea. I am willing to try antabuse or other meds. My experiences at AA have not been particularly great, but I am not ruling it out. I just know my withdrawals suck and anything to decrease that, I am down with.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I honestly have no idea. I am willing to try antabuse or other meds. My experiences at AA have not been particularly great, but I am not ruling it out. I just know my withdrawals suck and anything to decrease that, I am down with.
As I am reading this on my iPhone, I do not know what country you are in. But I found google to be good for finding a good doc.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
As I am reading this on my iPhone, I do not know what country you are in. But I found google to be good for finding a good doc.

I am in Los Angeles CA, in the U.S. Truth be told, I have been lazy about fixing things.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

bump because I really need it.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Withdrawals do suck, and there's really not a whole lot you can do about it - but they are very temporary too. Is your motivation to see a doctor just to help lessen your withdrawal symptoms for your own comfort, or are you afraid of severe withdrawals?

You mention that you've been "lazy" in trying to fix things. Most of us were - our addiction loves that by the way. The bottom line in sobriety though is that it's not easy, and the bulk of the work is on us. Doctors and AA and therapists can point us in the right direction, but the cannot do the necessary work for us.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As I live in Australia, I cannot help you out with a doc. BUT I can offer support, empathy and my prayers. The insom,anxiety,depression and a'ism...I got them all. So I can relate.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Simply go to your insurance company's website or give them a call for a list of docs in your area. You can give them a call from there to schedule an appointment and let them know everything once you are there. It's really quite simple to do!
You can also google "addiction center" in your area and give them a call as well. They can give you an evaluation and setup a treatment plan.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Do you want to stop drinking?
Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Do you want to stop drinking?
I so want to quit. The really hard part is being married to a fellow alcoholic. Especially being fun, happy drunks. But, I know I am just slowly killing myself and not accomplishing even half of what I am able to do.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Simply go to your insurance company's website or give them a call for a list of docs in your area. You can give them a call from there to schedule an appointment and let them know everything once you are there. It's really quite simple to do!
You can also google "addiction center" in your area and give them a call as well. They can give you an evaluation and setup a treatment plan.
I think I may have found a place today!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Withdrawals do suck, and there's really not a whole lot you can do about it - but they are very temporary too. Is your motivation to see a doctor just to help lessen your withdrawal symptoms for your own comfort, or are you afraid of severe withdrawals?

You mention that you've been "lazy" in trying to fix things. Most of us were - our addiction loves that by the way. The bottom line in sobriety though is that it's not easy, and the bulk of the work is on us. Doctors and AA and therapists can point us in the right direction, but the cannot do the necessary work for us.
I am not terribly scared of the withdrawals. I take a xanax if needed, but only if needed. I never abuse them. And then, I can stay sober for weeks. But, when I binge, I binge hard. Like a week of blackout. I have done some terrible things and have had terrible things done to me that I have no memory of. I know it is all on me, I have no one else to blame.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I so want to quit. The really hard part is being married to a fellow alcoholic. Especially being fun, happy drunks. But, I know I am just slowly killing myself and not accomplishing even half of what I am able to do.
I'm sure that's very hard. For me my wife is a really responsible social drinker, but it still is hard as so much of our life revolves around hanging with friends and family with alcohol.

Nonetheless, I have to quit for me and for everyone else.

I think I got lucky and have fully realized this before I lost everything.

Hope you can do the same.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Samantha

I moved and now I LOVE my doctor, she's amazing.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think I may have found a place today!
That’s good. Usually if you search a doctor’s name there will be reviews that may be helpful. My thoughts are with you
Old 05-02-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would argue that the REALLY hard part is accepting our addiction. It's difficult getting sober around other drinkers to be certain, but it's possible. It all hinges on our ability to accept that drinking any amount of alcohol, even one sip, is never an option. Whether you are an everyday binge drinker like I was, or just a random binger- the solution is one in the same. Take drinking completely and permanently off the table as an option and you can do amazing things.