Notices

Back again

Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

Hi I first recognised I had a problem with drinking about 10 years ago. Apart from 6 months sober in 2010 I have struggled to go a few weeks without drinking. I don't drink every day, but I have been drinking 1-2 times per week where I will drink 20plus drinks.

I use to be good at setting goals, I try and set myself goals for not drinking but the longest I can go is only 2 weeks.

This is why I have resurfaced here for some accountability. I was in AA when I managed to stop for 6 months but the spirituality aspect scared me. I have called up out community alcohol help line in New Zealand And they have given me a 1 on 1 appt to assess options for me.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Life is so much better with complete sobriety, I tried and failed miserably at the moderation thong for a few years. Try totally throwing yourself into a recovery plan.

Here's a great place to start. You can do this, and it is so worth getting through those early days.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back

D
Old 04-16-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome back Cairns. 6 months sober is awesome. You know you can do it again. The one on one support should help. Keep on posting and let us know your progress.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I imagine that like anything else AA has some points that resonate with you. Do you feel it possible to maybe take what you like and leave the rest? When the speaker or group goes religious just kind of tune it out? This.is what was suggested to me earlier today.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're back and hope that with support, you can achieve lasting sobriety.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cairns87 View Post
This is why I have resurfaced here for some accountability. I was in AA when I managed to stop for 6 months but the spirituality aspect scared me. I have called up out community alcohol help line in New Zealand And they have given me a 1 on 1 appt to assess options for me.
It sounds like AA worked well for you, and I'd suggest going back. Us as drunks have a natural tendency that when we hear something we don't like, to run back to the bottle and throw a blanket over our heads for false cover, that comes crashing down to hurt us even more.
Alcoholism in AA, and really in general is a 3 part objective of the mind, body, and spirit. I found spirituality through meditation. I also get 1 on 1 with my therapist which is greatly helpful.