Notices

AA - should I go?

Old 04-02-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

AA isn't the only game on town. At this point for you I think it merits a try, particularly if its available. It was a good start for me for sure. If it doesnt resonate with you then you can always look for other recovery programs. But you won't know if it is for you or not until you investigate it.

I really don't get hung up on labels like "Am i.an addict/alcoholic?" The real question is do the consequences of drinking/using outweigh the benefits? Am I leading the most authentic life that I can? If not, do drugs/alcohol play a part in that?
Old 04-02-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well, so far so good with no alcohol. But it's not going to be too difficult for me until the weekend comes. The english speakers AA isn't until tomorrow. There's some other crappy things going on that are occupying a lot of space in my thoughts - if it's not one worry, it's another, but I'm in a strange way looking forward to the meeting to see what it's about!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

froggle, you could spend some time reading the big book of AA in the meantime. you can find it online by searching,"big book online."
Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
quat

Regardless whether you find, join, do any program(s), what is your plan about future alcohol use ?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can't stress enough the importance of the comments that you (we all) HAVE to learn what alcoholism is and ISN'T. It's not about how often you drink, what you drink, when you drink....it's about (loss of) control when you start, damaging (in AA the words are "become(s) unmanageable") to your life (and those of others, possibly then absolutely if you keep drinking if you are an alcoholic).

Take care and learn - wishing you the best for the right decisions for your health and future.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

There is also one very important word that I learned in 12 Step based rehab and later in my short course in AA.

That word is "yet."

"I haven't gotten a DUI...yet."

"I haven't been 5150d because of a drug binge...yet."

"I've never lost a job....yet."

"I've really not had any major health complications from drinking or drugs....yet."

"I've never been jailed due to drinking or drugs....yet."

"I've never been homeless because I lost everything to drugs/alcohol...yet."

Addiction is progressive, it worsens over time, the detoxes become more dangerous, health effects are cumulative.

I'm not a "real" alcoholic because I don't drink all the time...yet.