Notices

When do the cravings stop?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've posted here before, but my alcoholism has sort of progressed to a level I'm a bit scared of. If I'm not working, I now finish about a 1.14L bottle of vodka each day, which I know is a lot more than some people on here, but probably a lot less than others.

The cravings when I don't drink are just unbearable now though. I'll lay in bed, and feel like I have to get up and walk around. If I'm walking around, I wish I could just be still. It's a terrible feeling that I don't think amounts to full-on "akathisia", but it's a feeling that doesn't seem to pass the way a craving used to.

Has anyone else experienced this? How long does it take to go away, if you actually can stop drinking?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first 30 days were rough but no rougher than my drinking life and made more bearable with support here.

If you're worried about withdrawal can you see a Doctor?

D
Old 03-27-2018, 10:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mr

Compared to the years drinking the worst of withdrawal is gone sooner than you think. I am feeling way better at over a month. Honestly I don't think cravings ever go away for life it's just knowing what they are and what to do with them so that they are not a life sentence.

And you can stop drinking.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Mine decreased in frequency at first and then in intensity. They are pretty much gone now, but I would never say 100%. It's been just shy of a year.

Acknowledge them, note when they come, and have a strategy for dealing with them when they arise if you think you can't resist them. Best thing is a sober friend to call or text. Call is better, but I understand if you're under 30 you probably rarely talk on the phone. They'll get it. Sponsor if you do AA, but have a phone list.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They do lessen and even go awhile after awhile in sobriety. You have to remember HALT early on. Don't let yourself get Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. That will help with those cravings.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I don't know, but the cravings stopped being a problem when I decided to no longer fear them. The cravings were mildly unpleasant. It was my reaction to them that caused all the real suffering.

Now when I get one I simply say, I see you there, Mr. Craving. Have a seat. Let's have some tea and talk about why you're here.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by jsprplc2006 View Post
The cravings when I don't drink are just unbearable now though.
Sounds like you are undergoing withdrawals because of physical dependence on alcohol. Medical supervised detox is something I'd recommend.

This stage of physical cravings for the drug is rather short lived. The mental dependence and obsession takes longer to go away, but it does eventually. If you remain sober.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

1.14L of vodka is an extraordinary amount of alcohol to consume on a daily basis. You will likely not last very long if you keep it up. Posting here is a good start but I would also seek out some medical or professional help. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I second the medical detox avenue, 1 liter of vodka a day is pretty high.

About the cravings, as said above the physical ones will disappear the fastest. The mental ones probably never leave for good but lessen over time. I would get supportive family or friends to call or stay with if they are coming on hard. The most important thing is staying sober and that means you need to do whatever it takes to not let the cravings trick you into drinking again.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The AV or alcoholic voice is just that, a voice. You always are in control. Don't let the monster control you.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I gather you have not yet stopped completely but when you try you suffer from cravings. These are serious, they are part of what we call the phenomenon of craving, which is the alcoholic body's abnormal reaction to alcohol. When alcohol is introduced to our system, it sets up a craving for more. As one doctor wrote of alcoholics, "these people are not drinking to escape reality, they are drinking to satisfy a craving beyond their ability to control."

It Takes about 5 days for the alcoholc to get out of our systems, so that typ of craving can be active in that time. The other complication for a small percentage of alcoholics is that serious withdrawals can set in, and they will sometimes take a drink to fight of that discomfort.

Really, when things are that serious, a supervised medical detox is the best way forward.

Once that aspect of cravings is out of the way, another type of craving, or obsession can sneek in. Usually much more subtle along the lines of a drink would be nice, I have been dry a while, maybe I can handle it now. I never had any problem with this from the point that I began sincerely working the AA program of recovery. Others on other paths seem to be troubled constantly thoguh they often report the problem fades with time. My trouble was, without an effective program I never could get the time. I was overwhelmed in fairly short order.

So there you go. The first type of craving will be gone when you are detoxed, the second may go in time or it may get worse depending on the nature of your illness and the path you choose to treat it.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

To try to answer you question honestly the really bad daily cravings (or nightly to be accurate) stopped being every night after about two months and gradually thereafter. They have not gone for good but knowing they are occasional makes them easier to ignore..

I completely understand your question because I failed a few times when trying to quit unaided and I really needed to know from others who had drunk as much as I did - half a botlle of spirits on a work day and more at weekends - that there was an end to the tunnel and that I would not crave every day. It is important to know that.