Notices

I know it doesn't matter why I drank but I hate thinking

Old 03-23-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know it doesn't matter why I drank but I hate thinking

I didn't think as much when I was drinking. Or I was drinking to not think. Whatever. But I hate my mind right now. I go from depressed to anxious to feeling like I should enjoy my life because it is short. I am trying to see this as a phase I will get through and if I do drink it just means the inevitable process will take longer.

The weekends are harder but I do go to meetings.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How long sober are you? It takes a while to feel better. One thing you could do to improve your recovery is to start practicing gratitude every day. Find at least one thing every day you are grateful for. Gratitude can change your life.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 03-23-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been doing a gratitude list and that is helpful. I have been sober a little over 2 months. I know that's not very long.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are having a hard time. But, at least look at how many complete strangers have been here to listen and support you. Share here and keep moving forward. There will be a light at the end. It's in you.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
I have been doing a gratitude list and that is helpful. I have been sober a little over 2 months. I know that's not very long.
It's good sober time but still early stages of recovery. Give yourself more sober time to adjust to your new normal. Good food, rest, exercise. Take good care of yourself. It will get better.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It gets way better and way easier to be alone and love your true self and mind. Slowly and surely, a little bit every day of sober time you have.

Using booze or drugs to escape inevitably leads back to panic anxiety when you have to face yourself again....because you can't just stay blind drunk forever. If you try forever won't be that long.

Alcohol in particular is a depressant, so when you stop, even for a short time you're keyed up and not in a good way.

I love not having those horrific moments anymore. Life can still be hard, but I'm not dealing with those chemically induced ups and downs.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gah. Yes. I let that drag on FAR too long. I got it relief (like everyone had said I would - doncha just hate it it when then that happens lol) when I give sponsor and actually engaged in the recovery work. It was all very well listen to people talk about living their lives with their recovery, but I was kinda sitting in meetings hoping the Sobriety Fairy would fly over and sprinkle me with some recovery dust. But no. We're given a shovel, but we have to make that decision to use it. Willingness is the key.

BB
Old 03-24-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
I hate my mind right now.
Been there, done that.
Google: the life coach school podcast
Listen to a few episodes of the podcast
It gave me a very different perspective.

Keep rocking that sobriety!