Notices

Never imagined I'd be here

Old 03-02-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never imagined I'd be here

I'm 30 and have been a heavy drinker the past 9 years. I'm no stranger to substance abuse as my father was an alcoholic and my father-in-law recently passed away due to his own alcoholism. My wife (understandably) has told me to get a grip on my alcoholism, or she cannot continue our marriage. I've been experiencing mild withdrawal symptoms such as shaking hands and I'm nervous and foggy headed. I've been doing what I can to aliviate these symptoms, but I was also wondering what worked for others too. I am not going cold turkey, I am doing a wean off of it, which has been going well for me. But sometimes the symptoms are difficult to bear while at work. Any suggestions would be wonderful. TIA
Old 03-02-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome to SR. People use many different methods to get through the first few days. Many on here would recommend you see your doctor before detoxing, but many people do it without.

I am glad you have seen the problem you have and are doing something about it. Stick close to this site, post and read other peoples post. It will get easier.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I have been reading through a lot of posts today and they have help me tons. I am determined to get my life back on track. I know I cannot live this way any longer.

Originally Posted by julietUK View Post
Hi. Welcome to SR. People use many different methods to get through the first few days. Many on here would recommend you see your doctor before detoxing, but many people do it without.

I am glad you have seen the problem you have and are doing something about it. Stick close to this site, post and read other peoples post. It will get easier.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! You are smart to stop drinking at a young age.

I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! You will find lots of support here!

In my opinion, the preferred way to stop drinking, is cold-turkey, with your doctor's okay. Weaning off alcohol, for an alcoholic, is extremely difficult and tends to prolong the symptoms.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR prizefighter👋 I’ve been sober since September and SR has really helped. I try to post when I can and read the threads several times a day. Best of luck.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, prizefighter! You've made such a wise decision. I wish I had stopped when I was 30. My whole life would've been different. It'll be so good to be free of it.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Prize. Frankly none of us expected to be here, I know I certainly didn’t. We’re both about the same age, I struggled with drugs & alcohol since my teens and my father was an alcoholic too. I’ve been clean and sober for about 19 pretty terrible days so I don’t really have a great deal of useful advice. But I would strongly recommend trying your hardest to stick it out, and don’t expect miracles overnight. If you’ve been going hard on the booze for 9 years, your body is not going to recover in just a couple of days. But if you can stay the course, I hear the rewards are well worth it.

Good luck my friend.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing with me. Good luck to you too. Been at it for 3 days now....it's been tough but I'm more than determined. I appreciate your supportive words. I know it'll be a long road out. But in the end I KNOW it'll be worth it.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for being encouraging. I know it will be amazing to live again.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Prizefighter

I could never taper worth a damn, but I think as soon as you get down to zero, you'll start to see improvement then .

D