Notices

Athiests in AA

Old 03-02-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Anyone else find it funny that the OPs username is Oxford? Guess it strikes me as such because AA was begun larlgeyl from the Oxford Group.

Anyhoo - rather than delving into the is/there/isn't/there/a/HP issue....I'd like to address something as big -possibly bigger right now- which is the enormous anger you are expressing. Nothing good happened for me in getting sober- or, truthfully, in life in general related to drinking or not, when I was furious. Just food for thought for this AA Christian program devotee who sees a wide variety in the different meetings I attend (one reason is that it's good for me to hear different views and not get siloed by my own).

ALSO - are you working the steps? Do you have a sponsor? Whether it's anger, doubt, fear, disbelief (such as that AA will work for you), I found I needed to work the steps - in order- and worry (take) each one in sequence. For example - in Step 2 "....came to believe that a higher power COULD restore us to sanity..." and so on.

Best to you for finding a program that works for you. Battling ones that don't would take efforts away from my own successful path, so that's a fool's errand for this alcoholic.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I came to AA with no belief in a god. That does not make me an atheist. The first step, the problem was a no brainer. The second is about the solution. AA's solution is to put you in contact with a power greater than yourself which will solve your problem. That's all there is.

So I needed to answer one simple question' do I now believe (nope) or am I even willing to believe in a power greater than myself. Weeelll, yes I guess I am willing if I get some evidence. That was enough for me to make a start and now the existence of said Power is established fact in my life. I have the experience.

If my answer had been a resounding "no I am not even willing" then maybe AA is not the path for me. Perhaps I should be looking at something different.

Having said all that, I know very little about the personal beliefes of anyone in my group. I think mst of us have managed to form some ideas that make sense to us, and we have been able to develop these experientially through the steps. There is nothing like a spiritual experience to change one's ideas about God.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Having said all that, I know very little about the personal beliefes of anyone in my group. I think mst of us have managed to form some ideas that make sense to us, and we have been able to develop these experientially through the steps. There is nothing like a spiritual experience to change one's ideas about God.
I agree.. I know one lady at my normal meeting is catholic,because she likes to remind everyone. LOL But, she's funny. When I first started going/sharing I'd always start with "I'm not religious at all".. Once I was comfortable and focused, I quickly realized that no one cares. We're ALL there for one damn thing(well most are).
Old 03-02-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

The AA meeting format totally reminds me of the Catholic masses I attended through my teens.

I don't think the OP sounds angry, it sounds as if he is exploring and sharing his experiences.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

^^^anytime I see blanked out curse words, or an argumentative stance rather than a questioning or doubtful one, well...I "see" anger. Then again, it's sometimes tough to read someone's tone.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Popping in again to say I agree with August in that writing,typing (posting) is sometimes a difficult form of communication ( I posted on this a while back ) . We cant see facial expressions or body language ,hear a voice to gauge the real tone . SR is amazing but sometimes it is so difficult expressing ones self the way you want to .