Notices

Having a list

Old 02-10-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a list

Day 11 for me and proud of it.
I wrote a list today and messaged it to myself to read later.
I was craving beer in this 30+ weather instead i wrote the reasons i have stopped and the positive outcomes that are going to come from not drinking for some time.
Another usefull tool i have learnt at sr.

I would like to hear more ways to ignore or correct my AV.
Im trying to adapt to a life that doesnt invole alcohol in it as it has been with me for such a long time.
Leaving the house, phone,keys,wallet,beer....
Old 02-10-2018, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 11!
Writing a journal every day is a great thing, I do so myself. As for your AV, ALWAYS reach out before you do something stupid.
Post here, start attending AA meeting, start seeing an addiction therapist, whatever it takes.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's awesome. Great question to toss out there.

Ignoring or correcting the AV...
I personally spent a lot of effort researching and applying many different strategies.

Something I learned that helped me was talking to my AV. I made that a regular event. I treated my AV like another person and would dedicate some time with him to talk about the ways he's a pain in my side.

In fact, I also talked to me AV once in a while when I was feeling good. I thanked him for not bugging me and would talk about how awesome it is to not be a slave any more, to have energy, to be eating well again, etc. I used that time to bring light to all the awesome benefits experienced and what will soon be experienced if you stay sober.

Look at it this way.... There's two voices there. The real you, and the addict voice. Make sure the real you is talking the most. Eventually the AV sees its logic is faulty and realizes it can't win.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What has been really helpful for me, is searching for quotes that are very inspirational for this journey and that really hit home. I screen shot them and save them in a folder on my phone, when I feel the need, I open it and read every one until I am strong again. 😁
Old 02-11-2018, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I play the tape forward as to what happens to me after that first drink and then I read my plan which has a comment that I wrote on my last drunk day which says, this is not fun anymore, someone please help me! when I read that, I remember how scared and ill I felt. I never want to go back to a day 1, EVER.
My av can never argue with that sentence and dies a natural death.
For smaller cravings, I smother it with sugar.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I made a list as well. I also put a note on my dashboard "stop poisoning yourself". Keep pictures of my kids nearby too. Anything to have a constant reminder.
Love your approach Incontrol. Might try that. Do you do it out loud?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
Love your approach Incontrol. Might try that. Do you do it out loud?
At times. It's a mind hack. Also "feel" that addict voice as the past. The old version of you and your real voice, the now. This is who you are.... That is what you were.