Notices

Trouble sleeping and doing disturbing math

Old 02-09-2018, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trouble sleeping and doing disturbing math

I guess it’s not surprising that I’m not sleeping well given the whole new sobriety thing. I don’t think it helped that I was just doing some number crunching and finally realized that I’m spending more than $500 a month on alcohol. It might even be as much as $600.

No wonder we don’t have a savings!

Anyone else?

Ugh. Glad to be done with this. Can’t wait to see the difference in our bank account.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have done that same math.... it’s a good amount of money! Today is day 20 for me....🤑🤑
Old 02-09-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sophiac, set some goals maybe. Put the $ in a separate jar and treat yourself when you reach milestones. Not with a drink of course but something you have on your wish list.
$150 in 8 days saved for me. What a waste.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've done the same math - including things I bought/did while drunk - it wakes me up at night with a cold panic.

But what can I do with that now? I can't get the money back. I can't get back the wasted hours, the relationships I let slide, the passions I let fade...

I can use those thoughts as fuel to know there is much life to still live - even if I'm just entering middle age. I can use it as fuel to choose the better life - because it is just a choice really.

Good luck and stay strong.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know it's a bit depressing to think about it. But that is the past. Now look at it as a positive...all of the money you are saving. And it's probably more because of the garbage we eat when hungover and not to mention the lost productivity which can add up to $$$. I'm using the NOMO day counter. Keeps track of how many days I've been dry and how much time and money I've saved.
Day 25 here with $296.56and 104.55 saved! wow those hours!
Old 02-09-2018, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I worked out what I was spending on booze and when I quit I made a financial commitment and booked a holiday to Africa. All the money I would have spent (well a lot of it anyway) is now spoken for and earmarked for paying this holiday off. We will be staying in a lovely 5 star hotel and have a trip booked to ride camels in the Sahara too. Money well spent I think! Booking something up and making that commitment has been driving me to keep on.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Turn that thought around...

You just found $500 a month.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I love the idea of booking a trip and using the extra money on it! I did that last year - I went to Bali. I have saved something like $15,000 since I quit in December of 2014. It could be more - I estimated $100 a week. That's just on booze. I drank in bars, mostly, so it was expensive. That isn't even counting what I paid for a lawyer, ignition interlock, fines, extra insurance, treatment...It really adds up over time! So happy to be free of that financial burden!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

The math is awesome.

I read a personal finance book that claimed anyone could be 100% debt-free within 7 years (including mortgage) without increasing income.

After crunching the numbers of booze related expenses, I'll be debt-free in 19 months, and if I choose to roll that into my mortgage, I'll have the house paid off within 5 years. I'll be working toward earning more this year and setting a goal to cut that 19 months to 10 months.

If one is already dialed in, then that extra money can be earning yearly compounding. $400 a month placed in a roth for 20 years is over a quarter million. Probably better than peeing it into the toilet.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not sure what the math is on what I spent on booze, specifically.
But I know the attorney's fees, DWI cost, higher auto insurance cost, attorney fees again, private limo fee, fines, days of community service served, dollars spent on cocaine, credit card bills from being too generous at the bar.... $15,000 which doesn't include my alcohol for home/boat/softball.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not sure when I started doing the math ... maybe a month or so into sobriety once my head was more clear. I started to think about all of the times I would go to the store or a bar. Every time I thought about it, I moved that amount of money from checking to savings. Last month, after years of sobriety, I had enough for a significant down payment on an Aston Martin. In my drinking days I didn't have the money to do that and of course wouldn't have been able to drive it safely. Now, I can guarantee that driving an Aston is far better than living in the bottom of a bottle
Old 02-09-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was a big gambler while drunk and I was drunk a lot! In my year of sobriety I saved $30k. That was a HUGE smack in the face! Nowadays it's a 'big deal' if I gamble $100. I do not miss the way I was 'living' the past few years and I'm happy more days than not in sobriety.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shebeens View Post
I have done that same math.... it’s a good amount of money! Today is day 20 for me....🤑🤑
Congrats! Day 2 for me. Not easy but feeling good.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I was a big gambler while drunk and I was drunk a lot! In my year of sobriety I saved $30k. That was a HUGE smack in the face! Nowadays it's a 'big deal' if I gamble $100. I do not miss the way I was 'living' the past few years and I'm happy more days than not in sobriety.
Wow. Amazing. Congrats!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoneDying View Post
I'm not sure when I started doing the math ... maybe a month or so into sobriety once my head was more clear. I started to think about all of the times I would go to the store or a bar. Every time I thought about it, I moved that amount of money from checking to savings. Last month, after years of sobriety, I had enough for a significant down payment on an Aston Martin. In my drinking days I didn't have the money to do that and of course wouldn't have been able to drive it safely. Now, I can guarantee that driving an Aston is far better than living in the bottom of a bottle
That is incredible! Congratulations. I have to figure out what to save for! 😊
Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
I am not sure what the math is on what I spent on booze, specifically.
But I know the attorney's fees, DWI cost, higher auto insurance cost, attorney fees again, private limo fee, fines, days of community service served, dollars spent on cocaine, credit card bills from being too generous at the bar.... $15,000 which doesn't include my alcohol for home/boat/softball.
Can’t even imagine. Glad you made it out alive!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
The math is awesome.

I read a personal finance book that claimed anyone could be 100% debt-free within 7 years (including mortgage) without increasing income.

After crunching the numbers of booze related expenses, I'll be debt-free in 19 months, and if I choose to roll that into my mortgage, I'll have the house paid off within 5 years. I'll be working toward earning more this year and setting a goal to cut that 19 months to 10 months.

If one is already dialed in, then that extra money can be earning yearly compounding. $400 a month placed in a roth for 20 years is over a quarter million. Probably better than peeing it into the toilet.
Yeah, I’d have to say I agree with that completely. Didn’t even occur to me how much I’d save. I’m not only looking forward to feeling better but now very much looking forward to paying off debt and having a savings! 👏🤑
Old 02-09-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I love the idea of booking a trip and using the extra money on it! I did that last year - I went to Bali. I have saved something like $15,000 since I quit in December of 2014. It could be more - I estimated $100 a week. That's just on booze. I drank in bars, mostly, so it was expensive. That isn't even counting what I paid for a lawyer, ignition interlock, fines, extra insurance, treatment...It really adds up over time! So happy to be free of that financial burden!
Congratulations! I am already feeling so good about this. Yay!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
Sophiac, set some goals maybe. Put the $ in a separate jar and treat yourself when you reach milestones. Not with a drink of course but something you have on your wish list.
$150 in 8 days saved for me. What a waste.
Wow. That’s a decent chunk of change in just over a week. Cool. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Turn that thought around...

You just found $500 a month.
Hahahahaha. Yes!!! 🤑