Notices

Not able to function

Old 02-07-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not able to function

Hi
I officially quit alcohol on the 2nd January 2018 and since then have drunk twice. I have Home detoxed with naltrexone and Valium, but have stopped the Valium, it was slowing my heart rate to 48. I am feels ng very depressed (I have taken antidepressants for many years and still do). I just think about drinking all the time and am really struggling to make myself do things even just washing or mowing or cooking. Is anyone able to advise on how best to get through this phase?
Thanks
ates66
Old 02-07-2018, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was at about a month in that I sought help. First from here, then at my first AA meeting. It was hard to believe that I would ever get through that fug. Or be able to think straight again. But, it does pass. I would suggest getting a plan together though, and applying yourself to working it daily. There are some great threads on here about making a plan. This DOES pass, and working a program of recovery and getting support from others ahead of you on the recovery path will help.

BB
Old 02-07-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like seeing s doctor to help you through the first few days of withdrawal would be helpful if you a still drinking. They can also help with the depression. What other supports do you have in place?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ares66 View Post
Hi
Is anyone able to advise on how best to get through this phase?
Thanks
ates66
You will die if you drink again. Repeat it over and over
Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I needed the support from other recovering alcoholics to stop, and I found it in the rooms of AA.

Might be a good idea to go back to your doctor with your concerns about the low heart rate and depression.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ares,

Imo...the mix of pills and booze is devestating.

Tough to pull out of. The kindling and paws hell are on earth.

I still struggle, internally, w the damage I did w booze alone.

Adding pills to the problem is like gas on a fire.

A Dr regulated taper is what I have heard here.

The underlying depression is something I relate to as well.

The negative thoughts where me down.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR Ares66! Congratulations on your decision to pursue a happy sober life!

Originally Posted by Ares66 View Post
Hi
I just think about drinking all the time and am really struggling to make myself do things
Its a struggle because you are forcing your brain to think about other things than drinking. Your brain is very efficient at thinking about drinking because it has done so much of it. Thinking new and different thoughts is difficult. Brains are lazy and would rather think efficient thoughts. You have to make yours think new ones.

Keep doing it. Especially when you're struggling. Overcoming that resistance your brain is throwing at you is the process of building new pathways for thoughts other than drinking. The more resistance you overcome, the faster those pathways get built.

It never happens as fast as we'd like it to happen. We alcoholics are notorious for liking our fast solutions to things. This will take a few months, but once it happens you will be free.

You can do this.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

There is nothing wrong with "struggling". Struggling or not, it is working through this and forcing ourselves to do things that are part of the process of getting better. Whatever it takes to keep moving in a positive direction. Setting daily reasonable goals for things that need to be accomplished and doing them will help you gain momentum. It is a slow process, but struggling can eventually become thriving.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How badly do you want to be sober?

For me, it was to any lengths, at any costs - that meant (means) dr care (pysch and GP), AA, and unwavering commitment. It was crucial that I learn to take necessary meds correctly, working with an excellent dr, as far as that goes.

There is a lot of help available IRL and here - hope you take it.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What worked for me was checking in on SR frequently....for me it was many times a day. I found that reading the advice from other people about how to live sober was helpful. I also engaged in talk therapy with a counselor. Eventually I started attending AA meetings because I needed to be around other people who were like me - it was a way for me to meet people and to do things with sober people.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, Ares!

Like many others, I found it made all the difference to have face-to-face support from other recovering alcoholics. Accepting that it was going to be tough for the first while also helped; then I knew I just had to work through it--the cravings, the discomfort and depression.

With time and some work, that eventually passed and life started to look good again. I'll always have to work at it, but it gets easier.

This is a great place for you to get information and support to help you along the way.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Ares?

D
Old 02-10-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You don't have to do it alone. Its easier to 'struggle' with the help of others.