Notices

Hello

Old 02-03-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I just found out two weeks ago, from my doctor, that my liver enzymes are elevated, and she says my liver is swollen from my alcohol abuse. I’m a little drunk right now, actually, and it shames me that I’ve just come home from work, prepared and served dinner to my children, and I barely remember any of this. My older son, who is 16, came home from wrestling practice and had to put away the leftovers because I fell asleep on the couch, next to my younger son, in my work uniform. I know I need help. I maintain a normal semblance of sanity and productivity at work, and I try so hard to be a good mom. They are all I care about. I need to stop, but I don’t know how. I’m on 3 different drugs, due to my bi-polar disorder. I try so hard, and I work to maintain a suitable life for my sons and I, but it has become too much for me. I’m all alone. But I must stay alive, and become sober for my boys. So, I guess that’s why I’m here.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome tornin

I had no ideas how to stop either but I found a ton of support and good ideas here

read around, ask as many questions as you like. I

f you find a way of staying sober that appeals to you, go for it.

The early days can be a little rough but the great part about this place is there's always someone around to help 24/7

D
Old 02-03-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, I’m still in that sensitive area of admitting you have a problem, and seeking help. I appreciate your response😌
Old 02-04-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Torin,
Welcome to SR.
The hardest thing I did, was admit to myself that I had a problem, it's very hard.
Same as Dee, I had no idea how I was going to stop......couldn't imagine my life without my faithful friend (a nice bottle of red).
Stay close to SR - everyone here is amazing and will provide lots of support.
Hang in there, you'll do this.
Sending you big hugs.
xx
Old 02-04-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, tornin!

So nice to meet you. You're not alone here.

Many of us can relate to your situation. It took courage to sign up and seek help. I couldn't get sober on my own. SR helped me so much in my recovery.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Admitting that you have a problem takes courage. I know I needed help to quit.

Did your doctor suggest anything to you about help, give you any resources? Did you tell the doc the extent of your drinking, frequency and amounts?

Hope you find the help you need.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Tornin,

There is a solution. First few days takes shear will to stop. You have to want sobriety.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome tornin! Stick around this site. You’ll find lots of advice and support. My story was similar to yours, I was stuck in the drink, but struggling to remain a functioning single mom. I finally got to the place where I knew there had to be a better way. For me I started, only 17 days ago, by reaching out to family and visiting my GP. My next steps were a commitment to this site and AA. Making it to meetings isn’t always convenient with my daughters schedule, but it’s what I need to do to get through one day at a time right now!
You can do this, I believe in you!!
Old 02-04-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome Tornin. Lots of support here. We've all been where you are. Good you've taken the first step in asking for help. Folks here are wise, non-judgmental and understanding. Please stay close to SR. Read and post. It will help.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Admitting you have a problem is a big step.

The next step is to figure out what to do about it.

This website can help tremendously. For me, I needed a bit more help and after a few decades of trying to stop by myself, I gave up and tried AA.

I don't go to AA much anymore, but it was important in my early recovery.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Tornin. I'm glad you want to stop being dependent on alcohol. We're here to help - you're never alone.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, tornin. You'll find heaps of support here. I too am a mum (2 little ones) and draw a lot of motivation from them in getting sober. I'm day 22 today. With time, a healthy lifestyle and abstinence your liver may be able to heal, so it's great you're reaching out for help now. Hope to see more of you around the boards.