Notices

Wierd reaction at AA

Old 01-28-2018, 12:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Sweetichick - have you considered switching to Vaping to help you quit smoking? It's a lot cheaper and safer and worked for me.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=sweetichick;6763666 I feel so much better without the cancer sticks. My mother is so happy.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing the tricks our minds play and what we tell ourselves so we can keep drinking.Think how much better you'll feel without cancer inducing alcohol.

You're in your 50s so maybe you need to think about what's best for you and making yourself happy. I'm sure your mother isn't happy you're drinking yourself to death.

It comes across as though you don't really want to stop drinking. You continually have so many reasons (excuses) as to why you keep on drinking - you're smoking, your neighbour, his life, his wives, AA, here. (Sorry tomsteve, stealing your phrases )

Maybe look at reasons to STOP drinking and how you can do that with help.

I hope you decide to stop and really take on board the help that is offered here and at AA and wherever else in your life you can get F2F support. Why not come back to the Jan 2018 class?
Old 01-28-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I didn't share. Just shed a couple of tears. Anyway this guy bailed me up and said was I seeking any other help. I told him I was seeing a shrink once a week. I believe he was trying to help as he said that meeting doesn't believe in psychiatry or medication. The prior week the chairman made fun of me giving up smoking saying it was only a a new year resolutions. In saying all this I am dropping out of this site. Too many arguments and no-one to talk to with long-term sobriety. I have to drink so I won't smoke or I will lose my car and my house. I paid $50 on Xmas day for a pack of 40s. Thanks Dee for your help and I wish you well
Bummer that you're feeling unsupported in AA and here.... I hope you'll continue to hold sobriety as a goal. I'm not sure what you consider long term sobriety but for me, over 4 years is beginning to feel long term and also feels very solid, joyful and free.

I'm here and so are a number of others with what I consider to be long-term sobriety who are more than willing to offer support.

May today feel brighter and may your commitment to sobriety enfold you with the power to make today a sober day.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sounds like you attended one of those "nazi meetings." We have them around here...people knock down doors to sponsor you and control your life and tell you that you cannot see a therapist or take any medication etc. That is not real AA. Stay far away. One of the best things I have learned in sobriety is to take care of myself...and be in charge of me and not to people please or bow down to others thinking they will be in charge of my life and tell me what to do. No one can care more about my sobriety or health than ME. Who cares if that ding dong thinks quitting smoking is just a new years resolution? Stay sober, work on YOU, and let other people who are negative and sick do their own thing...just don't play with the crazies in AA. That's what I've learned and it works for me.

I've come across a fair amount of people on these boards with long term sobriety. Maybe look into some of the other threads?

Hugs to you.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

All our AA meetings in Australia have official chairman's and secretaries. There's no cross sharing

that is standard structure for any AA meeting....a chairperson is selected at the beginning of each meeting. cross talk is never allowed. meetings don't function without some structure and business positions of secretary and treasurer, to pay the bills, buy the coffee, have literature on hand, etc. meetings and groups are free to develop their own "culture" or "flavor".