Notices

Day 1-3 status, does this sound normal for withdrawal?

Old 01-21-2018, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1-3 status, does this sound normal for withdrawal?

I tried to taper from hard alcohol to several beers before quitting.

After quitting:
Day 1, zero appetite, felt not great but could function
Day 2, normal appetite, felt decent, worked out, productive
Day 3, felt 100% fine, productive, but just had 15 minutes of rapid heart beat / sweating

Is that in line with what others have experienced? Does that sound odd or worrisome? Not looking for medical advice Just curious if it sounds worrying enough that I should.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do not have much to offer, but I did just complete my first three days free of alcohol.
I, like you, had zero appetite for about the first day and a half. In day one I was physically ill. Day 2 and three had some irritability and anxiety, but was not feeling terrible.

Sounds like things are going okay and congrats on three days. We are in the same place - let’s do it together!!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It will obviously be different for everybody. How long did you taper down, and how much were you drinking before tapering? It took me a week to taper down from a 5th of vodka a day...the first three days off tapering were pretty rough (mild shakes/sweating/insomnia/no appetite), but by the end of the week I was functioning pretty well. It takes a while for your sleep patterns and appetite/digestion to even out.
If your worried, make an appointment with your doctor, but I think the worst of it is over. The mental games start now, so equip yourself to deal with that.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ironhorse1 View Post
It will obviously be different for everybody. How long did you taper down, and how much were you drinking before tapering? It took me a week to taper down from a 5th of vodka a day...the first three days off tapering were pretty rough (mild shakes/sweating/insomnia/no appetite), but by the end of the week I was functioning pretty well. It takes a while for your sleep patterns and appetite/digestion to even out.
If your worried, make an appointment with your doctor, but I think the worst of it is over. The mental games start now, so equip yourself to deal with that.
It's so different for everyone, that is why when detoxing at home it is for the best to see your Dr. first. I know it is hard to come clean and be honest about the quantity and time span but she/he needs to know in order to assess you and assist you during acute withdrawal. You are probably fine. BUT why take risks now that you're on your new journey? Don't risk it to the toss of the the dice. I'm no Doctor (just play one on T.V.) Too many people die needlessly alone during acute withdrawal. We want you joyous, healthly and free!!!!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi notrealname333
There;s a very quide spectrum when it comes to peoples withdrawal ex[periences.

While I can't say I see anything out of the ordinary there, of course if you're concerned or alarmed in any way seeing a Dr is always a better bet than a message board

D
Old 01-21-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notrealname333 View Post
Not looking for medical advice Just curious if it sounds worrying enough that I should.
Yeah, but you kinda are, aren't you?

My PCP has a 24 hour nurse helpline. Is yours in a big enough network to have one? Call them tonight and discuss your symptoms if you have one. But don't be surprised if they tell you either go to the ER if you display XXXXX symptoms, or make an appointment with your doctor this week to discuss it.

Which you really should.

Not even a real doctor would give you advice without meeting you and conducting an examination with some questions about your drinking patterns.

You should go do that. This week.

And if you are experiencing withdrawals, do not be afraid to go to the hospital tonight.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

When in doubt see your doctor.
Personally it sounds normal enough.
The only thing that I found not normal is being able to work out on day 2..... you seem to be doing good
Onwards take care of yourself.
V.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m on day 6 after a two week tapering period, I saw my Dr before stopping completely and my bp was sky high. I’m taking medication to control it with the goal being to make lifestyle changes and eventually not need it. The tapering did help with some of the withdrawal symptoms, but my bp was at a dangerous level and I was not aware of it at all, so please be careful when making any assumptions about what is normal. Talking to the Dr is hard, I felt a lot of shame, but mine was very professional and supportive and the medication brought my bp down to normal levels. It was only then that I realised I had been feeling more unwell than I realised.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ken0331 View Post
Yeah, but you kinda are, aren't you?
Hi Ken - we allow folks to share their experience here so long as they're not sharing something dangerous or inappropriate, and they stop short of recommending treatments etc for others

Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Your point that nothing beats seeing a Dr face is face is a great one tho and we try to hammer that home here wherever possible

Dee
SR
Old 01-22-2018, 12:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry Dee, it just kinda sounded to me like "here's my symptoms for the last few days, tell me if I'm OK".

I just don't feel comfortable doing that. Like scotty said earlier, there can be problems we are not even aware of, asymptomatic and undetectable without a proper exam, that can be present and only a doctor can address.

In my case, I thought I was just going through some extreme withdrawals. I did what everyone does these days, used Dr Google. And had I been a member here then, probably would have posted here and found someone - even if it were only one person in one hundred responses - who said I'd probably be OK if I just did X, Y and Z and I'd latch onto that.

Truth was I had acute pancreatitis and lactic acid levels about 6x the safe range. Neither of those had symptoms I could describe in enough detail for a Dx. Took a doctor's exam.

Luckily, or I choose to believe by the grace of my Higher Power, I went to the hospital for help and spared myself lasting damage, or even death.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

no worries Ken

D