Notices

Helpppppp

Old 01-20-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Helpppppp

Guys I’ve been reading this forum for about 10 years

I’m 50 this year since my 39th Birthday I lost my wife through drinking , I later lost my driving licence. Have since compartalised my drinking in a way I call functional. Somehow I managed to keep a well paid job was on root to loose it all but bizarrely didn’t. Didn’t get the wife back but can now drive.

I live on my own so can drink us much as a like but getting the booze in here (I drink cans of lager) getting the empties out is all such a challenge. I added zopliclone to the mix first 1 then 2 and now sometimes I need a 3rd.

So am an absolute functional mess who isn’t really functional. I cannot imagine coming home to a cup of tea, I do 2 beers on the train from London so the journey to hammered has already started.

I feel I have to get sober but I have no idea how to do it AA didn’t work for me
Old 01-20-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not making lite of your situation,but if you lost your wife, drivers license(I've been there twice)almost lost your job and have trouble getting 'emptys' out of your home..That's not functioning at all. You work to drink basically,correct? That's not living,man. I know your medical system is different as far as alcohol is concerned,but I'd suggest going to rehab. I wish I could have went.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good spot don’t remember Yeh I only go to work so I have enough money to drink. I was trying to work out how long I could drink with catch in bank could do a year or 2 which sounds like fun and hell at the same time.

How does one stop drinking and it be ok?
Old 01-20-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome xym

I didn't know how I was gonna turn things around but I knew I had to. This place helped a lot - I know we can help you too

Read around and post as much as you need to
D
Old 01-20-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

since you've been reading here for 10 years, surely you've seen how lives turn around? and what steps it takes? you could have so much more IN your life than just empty cans of lager for company.

i don't want to get into a method argument, but you say - AA doesn't WORK for your.....you are right, AA is something that WE work. it is a program of change. kinda like the gym, just going and sitting next to the bar bells is not HOW IT WORKS.

there is a lot to love about being sober and free. i sure hope you give yourself the chance to find out!
Old 01-20-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xym297 View Post

I'm only a bit over a year and have had to fight/work my ass for it! Still do,daily and probably will for a long while. It's 'easier' now,but once I accepted that I was/am truely powerless over my drinking it became clearer what I had to do for myself. I tried to do 'it' for others in the past and that never held for long. You don't need booze to survive. You need water,food and shelter. Booze is a 'want'..not a need. Once I accepted that I started working through the crap I've been through that led me to numb myself,eventually on an almost all day basis. I didn't lose my job,homes,investments,ect.. I lost my damn soul in the bottle! I've since found that part of me again. I'm happy and I hope you can find the same.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you joined us, xym. I drank 30 yrs. and kicked it out of my life. You can too. Please stay with us and keep posting.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you're here. I also was on here 10 years, turned 50 and decided I had to stay stopped. Being in and out of AA for 25 years.....

I worked those steps at age 50 and am almost 57 with 7 years of sobriety! You can do this, too!

You have to want to be sober more than you want to drink!

Seek medical help for proper detoxing!
Old 01-20-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! When I got sober, I had to make changes in my life and my attitude. But tho it was hard at first, it soon got better and I felt comfortable in my sobriety.

I hope our support can help you achieve lasting sobriety.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very scary to know that you must stop drinking. Since you've been reading here for a long time, you know that many of us do stop drinking and live happy lives. Whether you use AA or another recovery program or any combination doesn't matter. In the end, it only matters that you stop drinking and recover.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I lost my damn soul in the bottle! I've since found that part of me again. I'm happy and I hope you can find the same.
So did I, and so have I.

Originally Posted by xym297
It will be okay. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

You said AA didn't work. Exactly how did you work AA? Just show up once or twice a week for a few weeks and sit there? I've seen people do that and claim AA didn't work for them.

If I just went to a gym with the intention to lose weight, or get stronger, and just sat there for a few weeks watching everyone else working out I really can't claim going to a gym didn't work for me, could I?

Whatever you chose to do, AA or not, I will tell you that you are not strong enough to do this alone. If you were, you would have done it by now. Get some help, whatever form of help that takes.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

XYM297 holy hell you've been researching us for a decade! What is it.... turning the big 5-0 that made you post for heeeeellllppp? No matter, just glad you finally did. As you can see from the responses we are here to offer advice for acute withdrawal and then developing a recovery plan. But honestly you mixing Zoplicone 3 tablets (I'm guessing 20mg each) on the way home from work with booze concerns me deeply. You're putting your life in the hands of the toss of the dice everyday. You could easily die. Ask your Doctor. See your Doctor. Acute withdrawal from booze/Immovane (Zoplicone) after a decade requires medically supervised detox. Please don't try this at home folks. The nutrition, physical activity, Recovery Plan can be worked on while in Detox or once you are safely home. We're here. I pray that nothing impacts you more than your Doctor and hearing the language of the heart from another alcoholic in Recovery. Godspeed. Keep Posting. I don't mean to scare you (but I actually I do)
Old 01-20-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Everyone here is smart and has a lot of experience. It sounds like your life is pretty narrow, and you need a change! There are lots of alternatives to AA out there if it wasn't your thing
Old 01-20-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I’m 50 this year since my 39th Birthday I lost my wife through drinking , I later lost my driving licence. Have since compartalised my drinking in a way I call functional. Somehow I managed to keep a well paid job was on root to loose it all but bizarrely didn’t. Didn’t get the wife back but can now drive.

I live on my own so can drink us much as a like but getting the booze in here (I drink cans of lager) getting the empties out is all such a challenge. I added zopliclone to the mix first 1 then 2 and now sometimes I need a 3rd.

So am an absolute functional mess who isn’t really functional. I cannot imagine coming home to a cup of tea, I do 2 beers on the train from London so the journey to hammered has already started.

I feel I have to get sober but I have no idea how to do it AA didn’t work for me
Hi xym, I understand what you are saying. I am currently reading the book "Drinking" and for the most part it's a book about me. I am considered a high functioning alcoholic. I'm sober since December 25, 2017 and it's been rough but better at the same time. I'm here if you need to talk.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi xym, I think your views on tea are going to change dramatically after you quit. I remember all those "lifestyle" concerns I had when first considering quitting (I was also a booze + zopiclone guy, BTW). I was afraid I could never again 1) hang with friends, 2) enjoy dinner out, 3) fly or even be inside an airport, 4) travel around Europe, 5) sail/go to a barbecue, etc. etc. Turns out all that thinking is a bunch of crap and you are going to feel silly for even using it as an excuse later on. Gotta take the leap, commit to it, and give your mentality time to change. It really works. And yeah, zopiclone and booze are extremely comorbid and you are probably running serious risk of cardiac arrest with every day that goes by.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I count 10 sentences describing side effects of the problem and half a sentence on what you won't do to fix it.

My helpppppp suggestion is that you start exploring possible solutions. What are you willing to do to get sober?

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

AA didn’t work for me
it would be nice to get a little more detail on this. were you just going to meetings? working some of the steps?
did you go through the steps then rest on your laurels?

it doesnt matter what program/plan it is,though- NONE of them work unless the person interested works them.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have you been to see your GP and been honest? Has to be the first step. Once I did that I was referred for 1:1 addiction counselling. I live in the Midlands so there must be such a thing in London? I too could not consider a life without alcohol, not a chance. I went too my GP last April, I am now almost 4 months sober, it can be done.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for or the replies was vert drunk last night. Tonight am just a bit pissed as work tomorrow but am sespectint that will be a challenge. My AA sponsor said a I get well too quickly which I do smashed on a a Staturday at a family event on a Sunday. Of course I have to hide the shakes. Sober just seems so dull to me
Old 01-21-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

very drunk and trying to hide the shakes at a family event doesn't sound like a ball of fun either.