Notices

Why is counting the days such a big deal?

Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I only count the days up to a month, then it's weeks or months. I don't even really count at all. I just know my day 1 was new years eve so today's date plus 1. Once February comes it's ~1 month and next January it's ~1 year, etc. I make note of my quit date but I don't make a conscious effort to remind myself of my past drinking every single day. It seems counterproductive. I'd rather not think about drinking.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think the reason a lot of people count days is because identifying a problem with alcohol and then abstaining from alcohol is a very commendable and big deal in the majority of peoples eyes and the person relaying how any days they have abstained for feels a sense of accomplishment and pride, which is perfectly normal and healthy. It was actually my choice to walk into an AA meeting, to keep going, to listen, to trust, to do the steps etc. I did actually have a hand in getting sober and in my life choices as i do today. We are all free to believe what we want to and if someone finds benefit in something that we don't necessarily agree or need ourselves, providing they are doing no harm to others, and it keeps that person sober/happy/self respecting then i am all for it.

Its a shame we don't have a death date then we could count up and down
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I figured this would go over like a fart in church.

I liken myself to a 16 day old baby. How dumb would it be to come out of the womb and start telling everyone they're doing it wrong. There's a lot of experience here and I'm gonna soak it in.

Btw, I know you didn't mean any harm, Ghoster. Keep on keepin on.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I have an app on my phone that tracks my days for both alcohol and nicotine. I glance at it occasionally. Got it during IOP because we had to report our sober days every day. Generally I'm just grateful that I didn't drink today and don't have to face a hangover tomorrow.

That's me. Some don't track at all, some track religiously.

Whatever works for you. As long as you don't drink/use.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I track because I am proud. I am proud of what I am doing. I don't wake up every morning and say day 85! I know how many weeks and the larger that number becomes, the more pride I have in myself.

I track not drinking, not non smoking. I used to track non smoking, but it didn't keep me from smoking, so now, I quit is a complete answer - when, a while ago.

I don't necessarily post what I am doing for recovery - because nobody cares, if I have a problem, I know who to ask for help, whether I do that publicly on a forum or privately through an im is really my business. If anyone really cares, I shovelled poop for 2 hours last night, cleaning 7 stalls while thinking about some of the reasons I drank and letting go of anger and resentments, refusing to let certain things live in my head rent free. I do this 5 out of 7 nights, it works for me, unless you have horses and poop to shovel, it probably won't work for you.

I think for many of us, who hid our problems and addictions, days clean and sober is something to be proud of, for some people it might be the first thing they have had to be proud of in many years. A second chance at life, a new zeal for living, those things need to be celebrated!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great 99.9% positive
Awesome!
Thanks guys!
G18
Old 01-17-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
sober style

Dude, nobody's making you count anything. Counting days is very helpful to me and a lot of other people like me as we stay sober and put alcohol behind us forever. We're all shooting for the same thing, but we can get there in different ways. Live and let live, maybe!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thread closed by request.

Dee
SR