Notices

Relapsed Hard | Depression and Cravings

Old 01-12-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed Hard | Depression and Cravings

I was a heavy drinker almost daily until the Summer of 2013, and other than a few mistakes, I have never returned to my crazy multiweek binges... until now.

Over Christmas and the New Year I returned to my old form and now I am dealing with things I haven't dealt with in a very long time, and I am feeling very worried about it.

Things that normally just upset me are now seemingly life-ending, and the cravings I am having after a few days without a drink are insane.

My sleep during my withdrawl at the hostpital/home has been basically nonexistent which I think is also compounding all of this.

I'm not sure if I have a question, if I did, I guess it would be:

Will this get better when I am finally able to have a good night's sleep and start really focusing on being healthy again?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How long have you been sober? The first week or two can be rough, but it gets better. Insomnia is common in early recovery but that too gets better the longer you're sober.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
How long have you been sober? The first week or two can be rough, but it gets better. Insomnia is common in early recovery but that too gets better the longer you're sober.
Not completely sure due to blackouts, but I would guess 4-6 days.

I know things can be rough, but I have never had these mental symptoms before. More than the intense anxiety and depression, it's the cravings that I find concerning.

I had the most intense cravings I have ever experienced today. It was constant and intense and frankly quite debilitating.

These between the ears symptoms are just scary, I even convince myself at times that it wont get better and I will just feel this way as long as I am sober.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

I don't see any reason why things wouldn't improve so long as you stay sober The Natural.

Personally, I can't dabble in drinking - sooner or later the wheels come off in a major way.

Something bad may not have happened every time I drank, but every time something bad happened, I'd been drinking.

D
Old 01-12-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back

I don't see any reason why things wouldn't improve so long as you stay sober The Natural.

Personally, I can't dabble in drinking - sooner or later the wheels come off in a major way.

Something bad may not have happened every time I drank, but every time something bad happened, I'd been drinking.

D

I didn't dabble, in those instances I mentioned I just came to my senses before the binges extended for multiple weeks. They were grave mistakes.

If I gave you the impression that I don't take my sobriety seriously then I give you my apologies.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I wasn't trying to impugn your efforts - apologies.

My point was I find fully 'off' is easier to handle that off/on, whatever the duration.

D