Notices

New to forum, need help with finding rehab center

Old 01-02-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forum, need help with finding rehab center

Hi everyone my name is Andrew, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm going to get right to the point, I have finally decided and realized its time to get treatment and get my life back. My question is this, I'm 33 years old and have no health insurance.. but by the grace of god my Aunt has set aside 20k dollars to pay for my treatment. I know I need medical detox and I want a 30 day inpatient rehab with actual doctors and therapists/ psychologists to help my physical and mental addiction problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction to a facility that would be in my price range I have tried for over a week now to find prices etc online but I only have a cell phone that has horrible intermittent service making the easy phone call not a great option so I really needed something online. So please if anyone has any help / information they can give me it is greatly appreciated. thank you so much
~Andrew
Old 01-02-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Andrew, I have no personal experience, but the following link is what we have listed on SR as resources. If phoning isn't manageable, you could possibly email:

https://www.soberrecovery.com
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Andrew and welcome. I would recommend you check out a local recovery clinic for advice (assuming you don't want to go too far from wherever home is for you). They have tons of resources and connections and can help you select the right one for your specific needs.
That said, detox and rehab centers vary a lot in their services, but at the end of the day you'll get something wonderful. When I went, I got some sound advice from a recovery service that even made the referral for me and provided details on what to expect etc. More information is always good!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry I can't provide advice but you should try calling and explaining the no-insurance situation you may find they come down in price for you.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Where are you located? I'm going to an inpatient on Friday, but I do have health insurance for the time being and still paying $6K. It is pathetic how expensive it is to get inpatient treatment. $20K is definitely doable and, may I say, you lucked out. Where are you located and what are you looking for?
Old 01-02-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Andrew

No experience to share but there is a national database of rehab facilities , assuming you're in the US.

You can enter your location and then refine the results according to what you need.

There's probably no substitute for emailing/calling around tho..

D
Old 01-02-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Andrew!!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Welcome Andrew. I too needed inpatient. Fortunately I had insurance that paid for all but $1500.

The facility I went to worked with people that didn't have employer insurance. You are probably eligible for some sort of medicare, that will cover at least some of it. They usually have someone on staff that does nothing but maximize your benefits. I would see what benefits you are eligible before you touch that $20K.

I went through detox on a valium taper, as well as tapering off of a prescription sleep medication. They also used gabapentin as an adjunct for anxiety, and monitored vitals, particularly blood pressure. They had a pretty useless psychiatrist on staff, but she was good enough. My psychiatrist had indicated that medical detox was required in my case as well, preferably in a hospital situation. I didn't get the hospital but as I said the treatment was enough. My good friend that I made in rehab did medical detox first, which is not uncommon. What sort of medical detox you get depends partially on your DOC (or drugs of choice, in my case, I was a bit of a garbage-head).

There were no trained psychologists, but the counsellors were trained in addiction treatment. Far less rigorous of a certification, and some were better than others. Mine was hugely instrumental in my early recovery. I got her because she specializes in dual diagnosis as well as gay addicts, so I hit both targets. Interestingly enough she had not been through recovery herself, but was raised in an alcoholic family and made the choice early in life not to drink. She was a good listener and knew how to gently challenge me exactly as I needed.

If at all possible, I'd suggest starting with a psychiatrist that has a specialty in addiction who can help guide you through the process and continue treatment when you get out. They can also evaluate if there are any other underlying comorbid mental health concerns, referred to as "dual diagnosis." Inpatient is just the beginning.

I basically was told very quickly by a no-nonsense clinician that I needed medical detox and get the list on my way out. Unfortunately I was such a hot mess that I had to get home ASAP to get start drinking again, as I was starting to go into bad withdrawals at my appointment. I also had no idea what she'd told me.

Fortunately I remembered a facility where a friend of mine had gotten treatment, and called them. They only did outpatient, but had some referrals. I called the first one on the list and that was that.

Good luck. Don't overthink which facility would be best for you, just get to one that you can afford.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Are you in the United States? If so,....what state are you in?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Does your place of employment have
insurance available for Substance or
mental health?

My husband had that claus in his employment
package to use for his family which was applied
to me entering treatment for my addiction.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A lot of places will offer a "sliding scale" for payment depending on your finances. I'm sure they'll also offer cash discounts.

Edit: That's VERY kind of your aunt!! Don't let yourself or her down. Seize this gift and run with it!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I would get started by clicking on the featured center on the right side of this page. They will help you out by pointing you in the right direstion.