Notices

15 days sober

Old 12-21-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 days sober

On day 15 and feeling positive but worried about the holidays. I’m hosting at my house and usually get through the day with a steady stream of vodka. Funnily enough, my extended family doesn’t even seem to realize that I manage this way. My husband does and doesn’t seem to mind bc I’m fun and energetic when I’m drunk...until of course I hit a wall where it’s obvious I’m completely smashed. But that’s usually the end of the night when guests are gone.

My kids are young but reaching an age that if my drinking continues they’ll have memories I never want them to have. Hence, the decision to quit. They’re my motivation and mean absolutely everything to me. On a lesser level, motivated by one hell of a drunken night out earlier this month - sick for two days afterwards and realized I just can’t do this anymore. I can’t do this to them.

So, I guess what I’m asking, and with providing this background, any tips for getting through the next week at this early stage in my recovery? Been to one AA meeting but balled my eyes out throughout and embarrassed to go back - but I will...before Christmas. But I know starting Christmas Eve, the urges are going to be strong as I wrap my kids presents...without a drink for the first time. And the next day when people arrive, I also know it will be so much easier to manage by drinking throughout the day. And I don’t want to ruin how far I’ve come so far - even if it is just day 15. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re 15 days sober

I feel everything you have said. I went to a christmas dinner this week with everyone drinking..i too wrap my kiddos gifts drinking steadily..my hubby just reminded me last yr how sick I was on Christmas eve (hung over)..i didnt even remember😒. I just take it one day at a time...today is 23 days for me..and yes its hard.. But is the past 15 days worth throwing away for 1 day of drinking...and then feeling sick for another day or days...? Hang in there!! You are doing great!!
Old 12-21-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Theres some very very good tips here Maggie

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)

I've had nearly a dozen sober Xmases now - you can do this!
Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-21-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaggieJ View Post
And I don’t want to ruin how far I’ve come so far - even if it is just day 15. Thanks.
What do you mean "even if it is just day 15"?

That's a HUGE achievement. Those 15 days were worked so hard for. They are precious. Do NOT underestimate how are you have come as the first two weeks are the hardest. You're doing so well.

My only tip (being on only day 20 myself - so I'm still a newcomer as well) is what I reconfirm to myself every day - over and over - "I will not drink today". For me this is so powerful as I'm not telling myself "forever". I just want to get through THIS time right now. THIS day.

Tomorrow is another time for me. More often than not I wake up so happy and grateful to be sober and without any effort I WANT to say again (so far) "I will not drink today".

And off I go.....

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats. Keep it up.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

15 days is awesome. I'm only on day 5 (this time), but I've tried to quit many times in the past, and once was over Christmas. I remember thinking that I was feeling content while my kids opened their presents, not foggy and restless as I normally did. It's also amazing how much more we can get done without being drunk.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

Well done Maggie.
Stay close to SR post and read.
Dont get carried away (forgive the pun) by the fun and festivities. Keep adding days.
Happy sober xmas.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, MaggieJ.

Dee's link is great!

Well done on 15 days and your decision to lead a sober life.

Sobriety will never let you down
Old 12-22-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Struggling here as well. My husband and I are hosting Christmas Day at our house for the first time in 20 years of marriage. His Grandmother lives with us (long story) and is a very very difficult person to deal with who believes her way is the ONLY way to do things and is resisting our having my family over (he has hardly any left.) My Mom and Aunt in their attempt at helping me are also trying to take over and have plans to have my Grandma keep the Grandma here at home "Out of the kitchen and in the living room resting" hahaha...funny. I told them GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. The ONE other holiday we tried to have 18 years ago resulted in my being in tears after husbands Grandma told my Mom that she had "been trying to teach me some manners since they got married." I'm only doing this cause he asked me to and I KNOW it's going to result in she and I being mad, and my Mom/Grandma/Aunt being mad because I'M mad, and husband being mad at me for not "letting things go over my head." I already wanna drink and it hasn't happened yet lol. sorry for the novel. Stay strong and I will too. Merry Christmas