Notices

5 months and I drank

Old 12-17-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 months and I drank

As the title says, don't know why really. I think I was testing myself. 4th November had a pint of shandy, thought yeah I can have one and leave it. Following Saturday had about 6 pints. Left the pub didn't feel to bad the next day. Again thought I've got this under control. Following weekend no control over stopping. blacked out, could only remember bits of the night. Spent the next day In bed vomiting until all that was coming out was bile. Had really bad shakes.

Last night went out "controlled" it or did it control me? Didn't drink to much but absolutely dying today from the hangover.

The problems alcohol cause are for life. Maybe some people can moderate, I can't. Maybe this needed to happen now to help me realise this.

I should have been celebrating 6 months sober today. I'm not feeling really depressed (thought I would) I'm on day 1 again and I am determined to do it this time.

Just wanted to post this and hopefully stop anyone else who thinks that after a period of abstinence they are somehow fixed. Your not!

Wishing you all well on your journey towards sobriety.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

thanks for posting this ...

... it helps me a lot !

as an alcoholic the most natural normal thing in the world is to want to change the way i feel with drugs/ alcohol

a good friend recently drank after 27 years

im going to my regular (aa) meeting tonight

12/17/17 is a really cool sobriety date

Old 12-18-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've come to the conclusion for me that there is no point in having just one beer. Why would I have just one? when I can have a cup of coffee, pop, whatever. If I'm going to have one beer then its going to be followed by a bunch of them. there is only one reason I drink, and its to get drunk. I'm an alcoholic
Old 12-18-2017, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuckleman45 View Post
I've come to the conclusion for me that there is no point in having just one beer. Why would I have just one? when I can have a cup of coffee, pop, whatever. If I'm going to have one beer then its going to be followed by a bunch of them. there is only one reason I drink, and its to get drunk. I'm an alcoholic
Exactly how I am wired. Why would I want only one? I'll never abuse myself with that notion. Whenever I have had a drink after a period of sobriety I know I am going to get smashed and that's exactly what I set out to do.

It's why I can no longer drink.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Quit.

yeah the best thing I ever learned was that alcoholism's forever.
The second best thing I ever learned is I love being sober

D
Old 12-18-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome back.
Get yourself back on track now and make this the one.
I think we all know now dont we that we never get cured.
We eventually learn that its not going to be any different.
The first drink will be the oe that makes us blackout.
Its guaranteed.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

This site kept me from going into a relapse situation after my last slip.

Coming here keeps the experience, memories, and reasons why I quit fresh.

I don't drink anymore. Now when I come here, each visit is like a booster shot of anti drink.

The reminders of brain damage seem to like to fade.

The av is cunning.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

You know how to do this so I know you will get back to working on your plan. I'm glad you know that you can't moderate.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's amazing that WE think we can moderate when all empirical evidence suggests we can not. Yet WE continue to think we can.

The best thing that ever happened to me was the realization I could never moderate my drinking.

I hope you have come to the same conclusion.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Boxer

This is a great post and all of the comments are very helpful! I’ve had more day ones than the earth has years and posts like this help keep me on the straight and narrow. Complacency is a killer and this is a great reminder to protect yourself at all times.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies.

What's amazing is that I had started to think I hadn't noticed a great change and I thought I should have felt better than I did. It's only now after a binge that I realise I was feeling a lot better.

The brain fog and sluggishness is terrible today. I actually felt nervous driving, my reactions were terrible and it felt like such an effort at junctions trying look for other traffic.

I know this will go and the journey doesn't feel as daunting as on previous attempts as I know what awaits me.

Something else I realised today is that since I started drinking again I have lost my temper really quickly over silly things like people que jumping in shops. That had pretty much stopped. Funny that!

Day 2 nearly over looking forward to a sober Christmas.