An Introduction

Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your year and thanks for your post Boreas

D
Old 05-28-2023, 11:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I’ve had it in my mind to revisit this, not realizing how long I had been away from it. SR is always open in a browser tab so that I can read when needed, and occasionally contribute. After 5+ years I glide comfortably along in my sobriety, with only the occasional idea of a drink which brings me right back here for a reminder.

Contentment vs. happiness has been a constant thing to ponder. When I got sober I thought that would be the ticket to everything I wanted, but it wasn’t. Then I learned to expand what I wanted and be happy with what I have, and a real shift happened. So here I sit, single and growing more content with that, almost through the change of life and embracing my own aging, and embarking on a challenging new direction at work. “God gives gifts wrapped in strange packages” I read here once. I turned 50 and an opportunity for work advancement (and additional education) landed in my lap. I grabbed it. But none of it would be possible without that first step on a new path that I took years ago. Charlie Munger said, “Opportunity comes to the prepared mind.” If you are struggling, another way to think of it is that by embracing sobriety you are preparing your mind for what the future might bring. Who knows how many opportunities I missed because I was staring at the bottom of an empty glass.

There are things I would like in my life that just aren’t mine to have. It feels good to make peace with that and not drink at it the way I would have in the past. Contentment is a worthy goal, and sobriety is its own gift. It is a hard struggle, but one with infinite and unforeseen rewards.

All the best to the wonderful folks here.
-bora

ps. I still keep the journal, all in an app so I can cut-paste things of significance. If I’m ever down I can look back and see how far I have come and read the words of wisdom I have captured here over the years. Still recommend.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wonderful post!

Congrats on your 5 years! Amazing!

🎉🎏🎊🎁🪄🎈
Old 05-28-2023, 07:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great update Boreas - congrats on 5 years+

D
Old 05-28-2023, 08:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on over five years sober!!
Old 05-28-2023, 11:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Thanks for your insights.