Notices

Husband s Sobriety

Old 12-13-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband s Sobriety

My husband has been in recovery since July of this year. He has struggled... I had noticed for a weeks he has been more agitated and withdrawn... then last week tells me he is leaving our marriage and doesn’t want to struggle with our relationship anymore... I am heartbroken.. we have young children... I know I have to accept it.... he hasn’t been to meetings and is now denying even being an alcoholic . He thinks maybe our unhappy marriage led to his drinking
Old 12-13-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wife1973,

I have no idea what your husband thinks or feels. But as an alcoholic in recovery, no one made me drink, no circumstance led to my drinking, and no one got me to stop drinking. I am sorry for your situation and I pray you find your happiness with or without your husband. You have children, friends and family that love you lean on them in your time of need.

God bless
Old 12-13-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No circumstances 'made him' drink. He drank because he chose to drink. You are not at fault.

I hope you get some support for yourself and your kids. You deserve to be happy.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wife1973 View Post
he hasn’t been to meetings and is now denying even being an alcoholic . He thinks maybe our unhappy marriage led to his drinking
I certainly don't know, but these are pretty significant signs that he has returned to drinking. In any event, I am sorry that you have to go through this but it is absolutely positively 100% not your fault. Take care of yourself and your kids.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My marriage might not be great, but I still chose sobriety.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wife1973 View Post
My husband has been in recovery since July of this year. He has struggled... I had noticed for a weeks he has been more agitated and withdrawn... then last week tells me he is leaving our marriage and doesn’t want to struggle with our relationship anymore... I am heartbroken.. we have young children... I know I have to accept it.... he hasn’t been to meetings and is now denying even being an alcoholic . He thinks maybe our unhappy marriage led to his drinking
You say he's been ' in recovery' but I wonder if he really has been working on that side of things, or if he's just been staying sober. The two arearen't the same thing. In AA people are advised not to make any changes to their lives or relationships for the first year precisely for this reason.
It sounds like his AV is coming through loud and strong telling him that drink is the solution rather than the problem. And as alcoholics we are pretty mesmerized by that voice in early sobriety or when things start getting tricky.

If he was here himself I'd suggest that he have a read about PAWs and consider looking hard at his recovery plan. This is some of the most useful info I found for myself when I was 6 month in and feeling like he is now... https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

Can I suggest that you seek support (as well as from here) for yourself. AlAnon could help with that one. I'd also suggest reading on the friend and family board here if you havent found that yes, as there are lots of stickies and threads that could be very useful for you.

In the meantime, please remember that you did not cause it and you can't control it. He has to want to be sober.

BB
Old 12-14-2017, 12:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He is choosing alcohol over the marriage. I don’t mean to be harsh but I did it too. He chooses to drink. I suspect he never really (although I don’t know) was in recovery or either he has returned to drinking. That’s what it sounds like to me. There are some great resources on this site to help spouses of addicts. We’re all praying for you. I don’t know your husband but I don’t need to know that no one can make him drink but himself. Know that for sure.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
I certainly don't know, but these are pretty significant signs that he has returned to drinking. In any event, I am sorry that you have to go through this but it is absolutely positively 100% not your fault. Take care of yourself and your kids.
I agree - already secretly drinking or headed for relapse.