Notices

Well, made it through 1 day - still alive.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, made it through 1 day - still alive.

42 year old man living in Alabama. Have literally not skipped a day of drinking since 3/18/2005. Well, all the luck that I've been afforded to drink this consisently and stay our of trouble with the law and family - I figured I'm on borrowed time and announce my retirement from the booze. It was a good run, but I want more out of life.

I made need some help on my experiences as I attempt this detox. If anyone has any questions theyd like to ask, I'm happy to answer.

So yesterady, just layed around in bed for the most part with no energy to do much of anything. Took a shower at 5pm. Then just sat on my sofa watching television for the evening. This morning woke up feeling just fine, but did have very watery stool. Which makes sense because all that was on my stomach yesterday was a protein shake, water, Gatorade, and a smaill container of apple sauce.

Anyone got any advice for me? Tips and tricks? i have a wonderful wife who will do whatever she can to support my process.

At this moment, it's been 29 hours since my last bottle of Heineken.

Scott
Old 12-10-2017, 02:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Scott,
Well done on making it through day one. That is a huge achievement, and considering its been around 11 years of consistent drinking that is a huge accomplishment. I am the daughter, granddaughter and niece of "functioning alcoholics". I am also the partner of an alcoholic. The best advice i can give you is, seek out Alcoholics anonymous as soon as possible. Your partner can attend most meetings with you if this causes anxiety. I attend with my partner regularly. Your partner should also try and attend al-anon, its for partners etc of alcoholics because we too need support. How much do you usually drink? Immediate withdrawal can be dangerous if you usually consume very high amounts. Considering you have already past day 1 i assume you had no extreme physical withdrawals yet, anxiety and tremors and pretty standard in my experience. seizures can happen up to 4 days post last drink if heavy drinking is stopped immediately. If you fall into that category, Seeking out a dr is CRUCIAL, and you need to be 100% honest. Valium etc should be taken under these circumstances. Supplements are ideal - vitamin b is important, as is magnesium and probiotics for stomach health. Powerades, gaterades, coconut water, staminade, anything to keep your electrolytes up. Please stay on top of your food. It will not be an easy journey, but the journey to a fulfilled life begins every day you say no to picking up that first drink. That first drink is the beginning of the undoing. Its not the 3rd or 10th. If you can say no to the first, you can conquer so much more than sober living. It takes great courage to say no to the first drink. Recovery is a journey, do not judge yourself for slips, they will happen. Prepare yourself and your wife for them. They are apart of the journey. The important part is to continously wake up everyday and try, try, try. Never quit quitting. It will be tiring. But dont give up! Because life will be amazing sober. Goodluck on your journey,

T
Old 12-10-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi glad your on the road to a better way of living.

I am no expert, my experience would be in the early early days and weeks listen to your body and give it what it needs ( not booze obviously, that’s your AV .

Sleep, sugar, rest, whatever it needs.
Wishing you the best
Old 12-10-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good on you, scott.

Bests advice I can give, is to stick around these boards. Read all day if you need to, especially when the cravings hit. In these early days, it can be good to surround yourself with comfort foods, and a variety of coffees/teas/soda/sparkling water. Just so you're not empty handed when a craving hits.

My bathroom episodes were a mess (literally!) during the first few days, so I can relate.

Be sure you also get out and experience nature. It will clear your head, and make you feel better (always does for me). Congrats on day 1.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I agree with supplements but that is me. Find some reliable sites on the internet (I know.... who knows which ones). Big sites with physician support I trust more than sites that don't have any credentials or organizational backing. Some things you will find they all say - so that makes me believe those things more. Vitamin B and other vitamins come up as things alcohol depletes. I take vitamin B everyday - I feel like it gives me energy. Taking care of your stomach is good to keep in mind - sounds like you may have had some symptoms while drinking. I have binge drank for over 36 yrs. I am not and have never had any physical withdrawals (except for hangover/day after symptoms) but I have chronic problems caused by alcohol such as mental (nerves, stress, anxiety) which are horrible and terrible stomach problems which in the past few years have at times been unbearable. It's going to take some time for improvement on both I believe. I agree with coconut water for the reason that it calmed my stomach. I stopped drinking caffeine before I stopped drinking alcohol. I think that has helped some (I still drink coffee just decaf) with my stomach problems and also some with irritability. If you decide to take magnesium research the different kinds. One type will specifically effect your bowel habits. I hope you can eat more today. That doesn't sound like much - what you ate yesterday. I know after I had been drinking, the next day I needed food or my stomach just felt like it had acid in it. Best wishes to you. Keep reading on the board and find some things to make a plan that will work for you. I am a big supporter of take what you need and let the rest go by -- each day.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Day one is a good place to start your sober life. Take it easy on yourself in early recovery. Rest, good food, and exercise.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Scott; really glad you found us and glad that you Day 1 under your belt.

In the days and months, your body will be going through a healing process. Your body will need energy to effect this healing. Get plenty of rest; drink plenty of water; eat healthfully; get fresh air each day; get in some light exercise - a short walk.

Listen to your body.

When you are up to it, you may want to formulate a plan for sobriety.

I will post a link to a great SR thread on a moment.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As promised:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 12-10-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Scott - you'll find the encouragement here to be so valuable. You never have to feel alone - we all understand how early recovery feels. Congratulations on making this big decision to change your life. It is wonderful to be free.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Scott

my advice on supplements is see your Dr first - not all supplements are OK for everyone, especially if you're on other meds or have existing health conditions.

I think withdrawal basically is not a fun time and the best way to get through it ...is to get through it.

Here's some of the collated experiences of SR members in the first few days:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D