Notices

Naltrexone - Have you tried it? Has it helped?

Old 11-27-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Baa

Naltrexone - Have you tried it? Has it helped?

I've recently seen a YouTube video by Claudia Christian and I haven't been able to stop watching it.

If you want to watch it, it is on YouTube and search Ted Talk Alcoholic / how I overcame alcoholism.

I've ordered a month supply of low-dose naltrexone and am wondering if anyone here has experience with it. I'm a binge drinker and would like to try and have a baby but need to get this under complete control first, for obvious reasons. I'll update this post once my ldn comes in to let you know how it is working. Please post about your experiences if you've ever used it.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Baa - welcome

I have no experience myself.

I do suggest you run this by a doctor beforehand tho - even if just to rule out any interaction with existing meds or health problems.

You find a few threads around about using naltrexone in an abstinence based programme.

I see you namechecked Claudia Christian.

I really can't recommend any programmes that promise you 'safer drinking' through naltrexone.

I believe that any amount of drinking is self destructive for a drinker like me.

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums, so those kinds of programmes are off topic here anyway.

Dee
SR
Old 11-27-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I watched that today and for me, personally. I was frightened!!!!!
Really, I drug I could take so I'm able to drink again? Lose my sobriety time for a chance to drink? Possibly go back to where I was? Take a pharmaceutical with side effects?

Oh man.. Not for me.

Her story was sad, and I was hoping for an ending without a crutch, but to each their own.

My recovery 0ath includes complete abstinence from alcohol!

I also read the threads here about it after watching the video, and I seen mixed reviews.

Welcome, I hope you find your path
Old 11-27-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I tried it a few years ago and it didn’t make a difference for me.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to you.
I have not tried naltrexone but tried a similar drug- Campral- with a lot of success. My goal was and is, complete sobriety and that is how I used the medication and it did help with cravings. I was still in a phase of drinking/not drinking/trying to get there and though hopeful that this might be a magic pill that made me drink like a normal person, did not find that to be true.

If you are looking for more information on a abstinence based use of naltrexone make use of the search box in the very upper right hand corner of this page (up next to "welcome, username, user photo") A lot of people have posted threads specifically about naltrexone with a lot of informative responses.

Definitely talk to your doctor though! I used to just pop pills left and right, taking anything that I thought would help with anything. Very bad idea. So many medications have side effects, can interfere with other medications or your absorption of various nutrients that you need, thus you should take a vitamin or change your diet to counter-balance that, lots of other stuff to consider. A quick chat with your doctor can clear up all that and get you on the right dosage and adjust anything else that needs to be considered in your specific case.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-30-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This med has recently come to my attention. Sounds almost too good to be true but hey, who knows?

You might google it and find a site that can tell you more about it. Many times these sights also have "User Reviews" that may offer the information you are looking for.

I'am like you. I can quit, no problem. The problem is staying quit with the the periodic craves. For me it is all mental and not physical. I have never had (knock on wood) physical withdrawels. It's all in my head! If I could do away with those (craves) I feel I'am way ahead of the game! I'am excited about talking to my doctor about this med.

Disclaimer: Just remember everyone is different. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa. Do your research, talk with your doctor and take from it what you can use.

Hope this helps

DD
Old 01-30-2018, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Once you really want to drink and experience the buzz and no worries afterward you will not take the Naltrexone. Yes, it will make you sick or you will not enjoy alcohol when you take it but unless someone holds you down and force feeds it to you, you will find a way to get what you want. Which is a buzz.