Notices

Day 30!: What's the road ahead?

Old 11-26-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Question Day 30!: What's the road ahead?

Well, after a pretty good (not great) night's sleep, I woke up today to Day 30. What a feeling. I feel so much clearer, full of more energy, more motivated and productive, more optimistic and hopeful.

At the beginning of this month I spent four days in a hospital bed. I could barely walk, was dehydrated and malnourished, my digestion was a mess, my blood pressure was through the roof, and I was covered in cuts and bruises. I didn't know if I still had a job. I did this to myself, through a very bad binge. Through the love and support of my family I made it back to this point. My bruises and cuts have healed, I am back at the gym, my blood pressure is back to normal (even without meds), my appetite and digestion are back to near normal. I feel good!

Now, the road ahead. I am back living alone. Back to work tomorrow. The apartment is cleaned and organized, bills paid, food stocked, email cleaned out...and plan of action prepared for me to use it. I am going to an AA meeting this evening.

For you all: what were Days 30-60 like for you? What did you feel? What were the pitfalls and land mines and what did you do to get through them? I realize everyone is different, but I am like a sponge now, soaking in words of wisdom.

Thanks very much for all your support....it's been a difference maker.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Days 30 - 60 eh ?
I think i felt better slowly , cravings came and went , i had fewer of them but they had the same intensity . I might have had a drinking dream or two woke feeling awful about it but i soon cheered up when i realised i'd not drank .

I still slept about 16 hours a day on the weekend, my face was still blotchy, i was avoiding THAT aisle in the supermarket.
I was making sure i shopped when i wouldn't be craving like thursdays .
I had a tub of chocolate chip ice cream i was using as a surrogate treat when i came home through the 2 hour car commute in london traffic .

Stay strong and keep on ,
Old 11-26-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, Days 30-60 were when it really hit me, that maybe I could do this! It was within my grasp and I was getting there.

It sounds like you're organized and ready to go. I hope that you continue to move forward with your recovery.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post

I still slept about 16 hours a day on the weekend.

Stay strong and keep on ,
So sleeping a lot is normal? I have been sleeping A LOT
Old 11-26-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days and glad to hear your back to health.

30-60 for me was when my AA attendance, recovery reading and Praying really ramped up and help push me on through after the initial “wonder” of sobriety wore off a little following the first few weeks. ( hadn’t prayed in over 20 years)

Good on you for going to a meeting it really helped me.

Other things were energy and motivation became more consistent, getting a lot of things done each day that would previously have suffered.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

What's the road ahead?

get into being of service to others ...

... because you dont see people active in service getting drunk again!

grats on 30

Old 11-26-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congrats on 30 days!

I still was protecting my sobriety by not going to any bbq's or out to dinner with anyone who I knew would be drinking. Don't be afraid to say no to any commitments that you don't feel comfortable taking on just yet. It is okay to put your sobriety first. I still do that even now.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good advice, Midwest, lots of opportunities to make sober friends in the coming month and avoid tricky situations
Old 11-26-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susiesmiles View Post
So sleeping a lot is normal? I have been sleeping A LOT
I wish I was sleeping a lot! Sleep still coming slowly at night but eventually I fall asleep. Looking forward to this continuing to improve
Old 11-26-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

During that time I began to sleep better, less headaches and mood swings. That all still existed just less. I was definitely thinking better and clearer. Still lacked some energy, that was still to come. Your brain is still recovering. With some more positive days I was able to think about who the sober me could or might be. Praying definitely was and still is a big part of the sober me. I volunteered some at safe no drinking events. Stayed home when I didn’t feel safe. I was on here everyday and I focused on my relationships with my kids.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I remember still having ups and downs, but feeling better overall. When I was about 3 months sober, I was feeling depressed and discontent and it was suggested that I start practicing gratitude every day. It was hard at first but it soon got to be a habit. Practicing gratitude really improved and strengthened my sobriety and made my attitude more positive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 11-26-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

My first month was really hard, emotionally and physically.

The physical side got better after 30 days, and progressively by 90 days I felt pretty good mentally too

congrats Pinnacle.

D
Old 11-26-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Went to an AA meeting tonight and got a 30 day chip. Really good group of folks and got lots of phone numbers. Unlike past AA meetings I didn’t feel nervous or self conscious so I suppose that’s a step in the right direction. The topic was humility.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad it went well. Humility is a great topic. I use a prayer for humility most days as it seems to be the crux of everything for me. And to think I did me even really understand what it was before I started my recovery.

I went to my first meeting a month into sobriety. Thought I was going made, with anxiety and washing machine head. The meetings gave me some hope that if others got through it and had felt like I did, well I might well be in the right place and have some hopes of things improving. It also helped me realise that sobriety and recovery aren't the same thing, and that one without the other is pretty ghastly.

Keep coming back

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

BB
Old 11-27-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
Went to an AA meeting tonight and got a 30 day chip. Really good group of folks and got lots of phone numbers. Unlike past AA meetings I didn’t feel nervous or self conscious so I suppose that’s a step in the right direction. The topic was humility.
great news