my husband is an alcoholic

Old 11-25-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
my husband is an alcoholic

My husband is a functioning alcoholic We have 2 girls ages 15 and d17 who are angry and embaressed by him We have asked him to stop drinking but now he just sneaks it in the garage or wherever he can. I have asked him to move out but he says I need a court order?
jrc51 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc51 For This Useful Post:
jazzfish (11-25-2017), Seren (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SparkleKitty's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,940
Hello jrc, and welcome. I'm so sorry for your situation, but I'm so glad you are here where you can get the support you need. As someone who was one of those embarrassed teenage daughters of an alcoholic, I can tell you that seeking support and help for your situation is a truly heroic thing to do.

One thing I want to say is that "functioning" is not a type of alcoholism, merely a stage. Left unchecked, alcoholism progresses over time, and no one can say how slow or fast that deterioration will be.

Have you met with a lawyer to discuss your options regarding having him in the home?
SparkleKitty is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to SparkleKitty For This Useful Post:
jazzfish (11-25-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Maudcat's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wareham, Mass
Posts: 6,938
Hi, jrc.
Welcome to SR.
I would seek legal advice as to your rights in this situation.
Good luck.
Maudcat is offline  
Old 11-25-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader
Seren's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,564
Blog Entries: 8
Seconding the idea of seeking legal advice. Please protect your children and your finances! I think the verbiage you want is something along the lines of Sole Occupancy of the Home.

I am sorry for what brings you here...I hate addiction!
Seren is offline  
Old 11-25-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 60
If he is drinking to the point of causing harm (physical, emotional, psychological) to you and your minor children, you can go to court to have him removed from the home. There are places that offer free legal care.

I'm sorry you and your children have to go through with this.
Ilovepi is offline  
Old 11-25-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Berrybean's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 6,868
Blog Entries: 2
I'm sure you can get a court order if that's what he wants. Get some legal advise and show him you mean business if you truly want him out. Hae you considered AlAnon and AlaTeen so you and your girls can work through some of the emotional stuff this situation throws at you and them?

Berrybean is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Berrybean For This Useful Post:
Fly N Buy (11-25-2017)

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:30 PM.