Notices

14 Days Sober and craving sweets

Old 11-03-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 Days Sober and craving sweets

Like crazy, ate all the leftover Halloween candy and I can finish a pint of Hagen Daaz cholcolate ice cream in a day.. Anyone else experienced this? I was a two bottle a day Chardonnay lady.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on 14 days of sobriety!

And, yes, craving sweets is pretty common. We try to replace all the sugar in alcohol with sweet things.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I sure did.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Me too. I craved dark chocolate especially. I indulged myself as a reward for staying sober. Better the sugar of sweets than the sugar of alcohol.

Congrats on two weeks!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lee6969 View Post
Like crazy, ate all the leftover Halloween candy and I can finish a pint of Hagen Daaz cholcolate ice cream in a day.. Anyone else experienced this? I was a two bottle a day Chardonnay lady.
Miss Chard and I were best friends for many a year. She was a lousy friend come to find out.

Chocolate ice cream is a far, far better friend.

The sugar cravings are very normal in early sobriety. Try not to worry too much about it; those cravings should subside with time.

Congratulations on two weeks of sobriety.

Well done.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was a red wine drinker and had monster sugar cravings the first couple of weeks I quit. It calms down but I found things like light hot chocolate and small tubs of jelly (jello) really good as satisfied the cravings but not too many calories. Anything is better than booze the first wee while. Well done on a great start!
Old 11-04-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great, now I want chocolate

But seriously, it sounds like it's the same for many. I never had a sweet tooth before, but now no meal is complete without dessert. And then more sweet cravings in the afternoon.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, in early recovery I sometimes woke up in the middle of the night to eat some candy.

Congratulations on two weeks.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is something I read about , alcoholics can be depleted of magnesium and chocolate especially dark chocolate is high in magnesium hence the craving .
I take magnesium supplement but like all supplements check with your doctor before taking . I also take a good multivitamin and flax seed capsule , are they helping ? its hard to say but I feel good these days especially my moods which were all over the place 2 months ago .
Old 11-05-2017, 12:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep. Crazy isnt it. But then also used to eat sugar from the sugar bowl as a kid if I couldn't lay my hands on a more appropriate (socially acceptable) sugar supply.

Anyway - yes. To answer your question, it's a very common thing.

If you want to get the cravings a little less (hard to stop them altogether) try to included complex carbs in each meal, and have them for snakcs as well. So, carbs with fibre etc there as well. Whole grains for pasta and rice. Skin on potatoes (jacket potato rather than peeled versions). High fibre options for breakfast cereal. Whole fruits. That way your blood sugars have more chance to stay up, but level. I find that this is important for me now for the quality of my sobriety and mental health just as it was at the start. My worst days are those when I get hungry and then hit the sweet stuff. My blood sugar flies up (I get exciteable- sometimes this can feel pretty okay, sometimes more like anxiety and not okay), then later my blood sugar drops and my mood crashes (this never feels okay - sometimes I can barely think straight). Also, once I get going eating sweets it's just so, so hard to stop - even if I start to feel sick from them.

BUT, given a choice between sweets and alcohol I know which is the lesser of the two evils.

BB
Old 11-05-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have spent my entire life convinced that I simply preferred savoury food to sweet food. I didn't really get the option as a kid, and have always been a drinker as an adult.
Now I fancy dessert after every meal and my AV is rampant if my system doesn't get what it wants. The good news is that cutting out the booze reduces the calorie intake significantly, so with the help of a bit of exercise, the weight gain is minimal.
So yes, in my experience, it is completely normal.
Part of the reason I love not drinking is that I can have a much healthier and full diet without having to deprive myself of certain things to enable me to have the booze calories.