Notices

Highs and lows

Old 10-25-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Highs and lows

Today marks 130 days since my last drink. This week has probably been the most demanding in terms of feeling like a drink. I have a lot going on work wise and am also waiting on some important news. Because of this a few times each day I have had thoughts of "sod it let's get smashed."

The cravings have surprised me as I thought everything was going well I was on a natural high as everything in my life just seemed to be falling in to place. Then Bam this week feel really down and the cravings are so strong.

I know drinking won't help and having read some of my first posts i know how bad will feel if I do.

Just wanted to get this off my chest and share it with you all. I think I have been getting complacent and it just shows how quick the urge to drink sneaks up on us. I was planning to go to a reunion at the weekend but after this week I'm not ready to put myself in an environment where lots of people will be drinking.

I feel much calmer after reading a few threads tonight and writing this one.

Wishing you all a happy, safe and sober future.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sober time! That’s a great plan reading through old posts. I’m finding that really helpful too.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m glad you checked in. It really does help to get your head straight. Stay strong!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good on you for coming here and posting

I was similar and hit a wall around same time and it knocked me sideways a lot - push through it and don’t unravel all your hard work

Good luck 👍🏻
Old 10-26-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you posted!! I know that I had different states of mind, emotional turns, etc at different points throughout my first year (and second).

Are you working a program? I was in AA from the beginning, and my fiance (also in recovery) was not. It was probably around the same point you are, maybe a little less, that he started coming to meetings with me and gradually committed to the program.

For me, my dedicated program has given me practical and logical tools to tackle the ups and downs, along with the foundation of a spiritual life to guide me.

Keep going! Moods and times of emotional tumult do come and go, IME!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job posting here for support. 130 days is a great accomplishment, it would be a shame to waste all the effort it took to get to that point!
Old 10-26-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am continually gobsmacked how the urge to drink rises up to bite..hard.
I am four years sober. I can go anywhere now where there is drinking and it doesn’t bother me. Drinking is just not in my life now, and likely won’t be for the rest of my life.
But..my aged mother had a fall some months back that sent her to the ER.
She was fine, but it was a long worrisome day.
After I had gotten her into bed and gone home, the urge to drink myself into oblivion was so great it was scary.
The monster is always there, just waiting.
Peace.