Notices

Trying to figure out why

Old 10-19-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to figure out why

New to this whole thing. Really struggling to understand a few beers are harmful. I am 3 days to 60 days sober. But bought a bottle of wine 2 days ago drank most of it. Life is not easy. Can not talk to my husband when I am really wanting a beer. He just gets pissed off. Because he has gone 160 days and it is so easy for him. Makes me feel so low about myself That's a whole other situation. If I feel I can handle a couple of beers. Not quite sure how to handle this.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cris
I don't know your backstory but I'm guessing part of it is not being able to stop drinking once you start?

Alcohol's alcohol - it made no difference to me if it was wine, beer or spirits - sooner or later it ruled me.

Can you identify with any of that?
D
Old 10-19-2017, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good. Lots of support and wisdom here.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Cris, I'm not clear if you are still drinking, or if you haven't drank for 60 days.

I can share that this is an amazingly supportive site. Also, most of us attempted the one or two drinks and found moderation didn't work for us, it certainly didn't for me, and goodness knows I tried enough times.

You should join us on the 24 hour thread it is a great place to make the commitment to remain sober for the next 24 hours. Also, think about joining the October class of 2017, you will find others who have committed or recommitted to sobriety this month.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today cris2 ?

its the 1st drink that gets us drunk not the 20th

we cant get drunk without that 1st drink

our choice is between miserable unhappy drunken drinking and all the consequences

or

not taking 1 drink

God bless
Old 10-20-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A lot of us were able to drink normally and stop after a few beers. For years. But then something started to change and we found ourselves able to control our drinking less and less. We tried all kinds of tricks but none of them worked. Control just kept slipping away and never returned. 60 days is a long time but once the brain changes in this way, it changes for good. Long periods of sobriety won't bring back that control once it's lost.

It's sometimes hard for people who've gotten sober to remember how hard it was to quit, or maybe they were very lucky and could stop abruptly. But it just isn't that easy for everyone.
Don't let your husband make you feel bad. Sometimes people mean well by being harsh. They think they're helping you quit by being very hard on you about it because they don't know what else to do.
Best of luck, I hope you continue to post here.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(Quote) "60 days is a long time but once the brain changes in this way, it changes for good. Long periods of sobriety won't bring back that control once it's lost".

Red, I dont agree with this. 60 days is nothing. The brain never "Changes" for good. It can always be brought back with sufficient time of sobriety. Admittedly, longer time for some sooner for others.

Never dash the hopes of those who are trying to restore there brains functionality to normal. It just takes time but it CAN be done.

DD
Old 10-21-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's a great point DuhDave makes. I was incredibly (so, so, so) sick when I quit. It is pretty close to miraculous where my life and body and mind are at 20 mo today. There is hope for every alcoholic still breathing, if they choose to quit, IME and IMO.

Do YOU want to be sober? It honestly does not matter what it is like for anyone else, which can be hard to "understand." IME, acceptance of MY alcoholism, and looking for similarities not differences with other alcoholics were critical- and very freeing.

As others have said, moderation does not work for a real alcoholic. There's help here and IRL and I promise you that it is possible to change the drinking life we had with far, far better living.

Best to you- hope to see you here.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Took me a little over 25 years, two DUIs, two divorces, a lot of legal and financial trouble, nearly losing my children and a LOT of misery and suffering to finally figure out why.

Because when I drink ANYTHING - I am unable to predict with any consistency whether this time will turn out awful or not....

And when I drink ANYTHING - it eventually turns out more and more awful.

Drinking NO alcohol has consistently brought be joy, goodness, abundance, clarity and a wonderful life.

Simple equations: Drink=Awful Sobriety=Wonderful