Notices

Practicing self-discipline

Old 10-14-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Practicing self-discipline

Today, this is what I am hyper-focused on. Having some self-discipline. I don’t HAVE to drink... I don’t HAVE to do anything I don’t want to, I don’t have to do anything that will make me feel ashamed/crappy/guilty later. And I do know if I drink today, I will feel all of those awful things later. Not worth it! Time for some self-control!

I’ll be filling my day with walks, eating healthy food, reading, watching movie(s), etc.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good God, do I need self-discipline too. Right there with you.

Actually, earlier today I thought about writing what I had done that day to stick to my recovery plan as part of every post in the 24-hour thread or maybe the October 2017 thread I just joined. So I'm mindful EVERY DAY.

Thanks for this.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In a world that is full of instant gratification, self discipline is becoming a lost art. I believe strongly in practicing it each and every day.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too. After years of hedonism, self-discipline is awesome (more than the unnatural destructive dopamine high generated by alcohol). I'm over a year sober now and after neglecting pretty much everything....I just LOVE setting goals, to-do lists and ticking them off. No more instant gratification for this gal, I just adore the natural high of productivity and self-discipline!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was surprised to discover how enjoyable and fulfilling self discipline and emotional maturity is. I had wrongly thought it would be dull and boring

Boring is being trapped in daily drinking.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
Good God, do I need self-discipline too. Right there with you.

Actually, earlier today I thought about writing what I had done that day to stick to my recovery plan as part of every post in the 24-hour thread or maybe the October 2017 thread I just joined. So I'm mindful EVERY DAY.

Thanks for this.
Thank YOU for responding. None of this is easy but what is helping me with the hard moments is remembering everything I’ve gone enough in the last several years and how NONE of that was easy, yet I got through it, somehow.

Sometimes I think taking it minute by minute instead of hour by hour, or even more overwhelmingly day by day. Can’t think that way just yet. Maybe one day, but not today.

Good idea joining the October thread, I’m gonna go do that now. Thank you for reminding me of that.

I absolutely love being a member here. Often I feel ashamed which is when I’ll just read or occasionally respond when a newcomer’s story hits home.

Just want you to know you’re not alone. At all. I’m here and I know we’re not the only ones with this current struggle!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
In a world that is full of instant gratification, self discipline is becoming a lost art. I believe strongly in practicing it each and every day.
Thank you, Thomas.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Me too. After years of hedonism, self-discipline is awesome (more than the unnatural destructive dopamine high generated by alcohol). I'm over a year sober now and after neglecting pretty much everything....I just LOVE setting goals, to-do lists and ticking them off. No more instant gratification for this gal, I just adore the natural high of productivity and self-discipline!
Huge congrats on being over a year sober!! That’s massive and you have every reason to be proud!

I used to be that girl... note taking, journaling (I LOVED writing, dang.. maybe I’ve got to give that another go), list making, etc. I hope I’ve still got it in me! Worth giving it a shot :-)
Old 10-14-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
I was surprised to discover how enjoyable and fulfilling self discipline and emotional maturity is. I had wrongly thought it would be dull and boring

Boring is being trapped in daily drinking.
Thank you, PeacefulWater. Love your username, btw. Makes me feel at ease somehow! Ha!

Boring is indeed being trapped in daily drinking. Thanks so much for your insight.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This topic reminds me of a group therapy situation that taught us about PAC (parent/adult/child). The premise was that if the child is the dominant part of our lives, we rely on instant gratification, lack impulse control, are self-absorbed and are more prone to risky behaviors. The idea was that if we learn how to let the parent and eventually the adult take control of out lives, we would make better and healthier decisions. Interesting concept. John
Old 10-14-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
This topic reminds me of a group therapy situation that taught us about PAC (parent/adult/child). The premise was that if the child is the dominant part of our lives, we rely on instant gratification, lack impulse control, are self-absorbed and are more prone to risky behaviors. The idea was that if we learn how to let the parent and eventually the adult take control of out lives, we would make better and healthier decisions. Interesting concept. John
Wow, so simple yet so true. Thank you John! Truly appreciate the insight. Considering I AM an adult, it’s long overdue I start acting like one.

Thank you.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just remembered that its the parent part of our personality that creates the guilt, shame, etc. The adult is able to incorporate the child, parent and adult parts of our personality to find a balance. An adult is still willing to try new things, but to a point. An adult can feel bad about decisions, but not dwell on it. A healthy person incorporates all three parts of our personality but it's the adult that monitors all of it.
Sorry guys, but as a former psyc. major, I eat this stuff up. Can't help it. John